Newbie.. when to repot Tangerine seedlings

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Manuel213

In Southern California My kids used the Zip Loc method to germinate Tangerine seeds and potted them in 4” pot with Miracle grow potting soil back into Zip Loc and indoors with low light. When should I put them outdoors and what could I add to help them grow?
F91C4902-DA34-4749-AB08-36B43617B50E.jpeg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Manual!
Welcome to our forum!
Here's the scoop on what to do:
You will need to open up the ziplocks so they get air fresh air, and to get used to lower humidity levels. Give them a week or so, then remove them out of the ziplocks. (Good idea would be to cut the bags by half their height so they will stay open.)
They need bright light in order for them to grow better/stronger and not stretch out looking for light.. a window would be best, preferably an east facing window so they get morning light...place them a foot or so away from the window for a few days and then gradually move them closer to the window.
Rotate the pots daily, and remember to let the soil surface dry a bit before watering.
In a few weeks you can move them outdoors in an area that is in in full bright shade... keep the the soil moist and you may need to water them daily.

Have fun!
Ron

Manuel213

Thanks for response Ron, Looks like some are starting to wilt. I think I should have done this couple weeks ago. I’ll keep you posted. I might have to have the kids germinate soMe more seeds. I mentioned to them that we might have knock down our tree to remodel the property. The tree has been so good to us.
450FCE83-2DB4-4E27-AEC0-FA20540C1381.jpeg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Manuel!
That is a very nice tree!!
I would be very disappointed if you removed it!
Instead of removing the tree you could prune and shape it so it takes up less room! If your try pruning, remove no more than one third of the total growth. I'd prune the some of the lower branches to start with....then stand back and have a good look and prune a bit more to create a nice shape.
Think in terms of creating a nice shaded sitting area under the tree! ...and perhaps a shade garden!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com