Nicely Detailed Raised Bed and Trellis.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Raised bed idea. My friend Mike Sparrow Knowlton just built this wonderful raised bed to start his quarantine garden.

I'm really impressed with it, check out some of the details. The sturdy wire section in the center is perfect for climbing plants and very strong.

The top portion is both decorative and functional, with a place for vines and you could put a hanging basket on the end too, though I'm not sure if that's the intent here. A simple but elegant design, well done Mike! Based on his comments, he'll be growing raspberries in it.

1588045432605.png

Here's a sneak peak at the construction details. Not only are those posts with caps on them decorative, they're also highly functional, they're what holds the whole thing together. Looks to me like he used fence caps for the top bit, nice looking and also serves a function, keeping moisture out of the end grain of the posts.

1588045480869.png

I am somewhat embarrassed to post this picture because I have not been as attentive to this bed as I should be
It is in a remote part of the property, and tends to be one of those things that just comes last.

None the less, this is a raised bed Tim built for me about 5 years ago when I was in a wheelchair from a back injury.

I am so thrilled with the design that I have plans for several at our new homesite. I recently build a raised bed where I can easily sit on the edge to garden. It was constructed from docks and decks that were dumped on the property after hurricanes Matthew and Irma. I basically just screwed the panels together and then screwed 1x6 board to the top edge. I will post pictures of that one tomorrow.

Only your imagination limits design.

As we age , ground gardening becomes more difficult, but I can't even imagine not gardening.

20200408_085022.jpg
15881180699293742474919164506758.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back