Oven Germination

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I am sure you all have heard or done this ...but very new to me....We stopped by a friends last weekend and were talking why last year he had corn a good month before I did...he said well I germanate my seeds in the oven...take one to two days...:eek:...He takes wet paper towles and puts the seeds in and places on a try in the oven with just the oven light on...Now I have germanated seeds this way on top of the fridgs...and takes 7 days or so...Well...Monday I got my seeds already and placed them in my oven...I have electric...turned on th eoven light and by Tues morning they had very good looking roots...by yesterday morning I had tiny corn plants ...so I potted them up and have them in the greenhouse...any one done this?

SassyWVGirl

I've never heard of this, but I intend to be "germinating" tonight! I'm so excited! I was avoiding trying to use seeds this year because I was afraid it would be too late to start out seeds by the time the new dirt arrives and all that. But this way I could start them now in pots of some sort, and they should be good to grow by the time I get the lot leveled again and ready for planting! Thanks so much. Imagine, only my second day and I've already learned a new trick!!!!!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool germination technique!
This technique wouldn't be any good for seeds that need cold treatment prior to germination, but would for seeds that need warm treatment. Make sure you to check which seed species need which treatment!

palmettogal

Never heard of this either, but will be putting my corn seed in the oven tomorrow night since I haven't been able to get it planted yet. Cant wait to see what happens!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have done them under lights but not in the oven. Works well if you keep the paper damp. Don't let it dry out or it will kill the tiny roots

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I am so thrilled you all will be trying this...I don;t know why I never thought of it before..

Ron I should have added that about the seeds...if they need some hot time that is..;)...thanks for adding that information...

CG yes keep the paper towles wet...I did the cuck seeds and beans also ..two days and on their way...

Last edited:

latebloomer

I've done this in my gas oven (its old and has a pilot constantly on) but have put the seeds in the paper towels in a ziplock bag so they don't dry out.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debe
Thanks for the info. I have never heard of it but I'm going to try it tomorrow with some watermelon seeds that I need to start in the house as we have a short growing season here for them

Scarez

Laurie has a short growing season, I have a short attention span....

I'm gonna try this too! Thanks Debe!

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I started a mess of seeds this am in the oven, i put the wet paper towels in ziploc baggies

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
So thrilled you all are finding this interesting and taking a try at it...

I have been so happy with the fast germanation ...ny greenhouse is full to the brim...just waiting for the rain to hold a bit and then get the rest of the ground ready...

I also did my wysteria seeds in the oven and the Jujubee/Chiness Date seeds...both very hard seeds...took a bit longer...I think it was four days...but WOW...looking good now

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
This works awesome
Mine sprouted in a couple of days, got to get them planted in pots tonight after work before they get too big, have left them in the oven with the light on

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com