Recipe Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

T

Trang

Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake

This Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake is so easy and so delicious. The only thing you’ll be thinking is why you didn’t make a double batch so you can have just another slice after all the holiday parties are over!

Peppermint-Chocolate-Snack-Cake-3.jpg

I’m hitting the pause button on the holiday cookies to introduce you to my newest Christmas favorite, this oh so easy and oh so delicious Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake. And if you haven’t noticed, we like snack cake around here, evidenced by this Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and this Apple Cake with Caramel Frosting.

How to make Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake

This snack cake comes together quickly and easily in a couple of mixing bowls and mixed entirely by hand with just a whisk. You could make the frosting by hand too but an electric mixer or stand mixer would sure help it along quickly.

Peppermint-Chocolate-Snack-Cake-1.jpg

1. Sift the dry ingredients together to ensure there is no lump in your flour. Then beat the wet ingredients together. And just stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients to form the simple chocolate cake batter.
  2. Bake in a square baking pan. I like to line the bottom with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the cake when cooled.
  3. When the cake is cooled completely, add the whipped cream frosting and garnish crushed peppermint right before serving.
Should I add frosting to my chocolate snack cake?

I use a simple homemade whipped cream on this peppermint chocolate snack cake. It adds another layer of flavor and texture but is light enough that you don’t feel heavy after all the holiday feasting.

If you prefer a more substantial frosting, I recommend either a vanilla or chocolate meringue buttercream. This will give you a rich, creamy and silky frosting to top your snack cake.

Peppermint-Chocolate-Snack-Cake-2.jpg

What if I don’t want to use peppermint?

For a non-Christmas version of this chocolate snack cake, simply omit the peppermint extract. I’ve made it both ways, and both were delicious. But I do like the cooling effect of the peppermint flavor.

If you like the idea of just a simple chocolate cake, try this Wacky Chocolate Cake or this Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake. Just chocolate on top of more chocolate goodness.

Tips for easy chocolate snack cake

• Always butter or spray your baking pan. I personally prefer using melted butter mostly because I don’t keep nonstick spray around and butter adds more flavor.
  • And then line the pan with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper too to ensure no sticky mess.
  • Don’t add frosting until your cake is completely cool so you don’t melt the whipped cream. Serve right away if you can. Store leftover in the refrigerator.
  • This recipe makes nine good size servings, but you can double it and bake the cake in a 9”x13” baking pan to serve a bigger crowd. The baking time may need to be increased, but check doneness using a toothpick to be sure.
  • For garnishing, you can use peppermint snow or just crush a candy cane up in a Ziploc bag using a wooden rolling pin or something similar.

Peppermint-Chocolate-Snack-Cake-4.jpg

More Christmas treats you’ll love

If you make this peach cake recipe, we’d love to see a photo. Tag us on Instagram @wildwildwhisk and @ohsweetbasil. Happy baking!

Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake

Peppermint-Chocolate-Snack-Cake-3-280x360.jpg

This Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake is so easy and so delicious. The only thing you’ll be thinking is why you didn’t make a double batch so you can have just another slice after all the holiday parties are over!

Cake

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup cocoa powder (natural or dutch processed)
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ¼ cup oil (vegetable, canola or olive oil)
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted & cooled)
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Melted butter or nonstick cooking spray for pan
Frosting

• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • ¼ cup powdered sugar
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Peppermint snow or crushed peppermint candy for topping
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or oil an 8”x8” baking pan and line the bottom with a piece of long parchment paper, letting the excess hang over the sides of the pan. Set aside.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Then stir in the sugar and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg, buttermilk, oil, melted butter, vanilla and peppermint extracts together until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until completely incorporated.
  4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
  5. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. When the cake is cool enough to handle, remove it from the baking pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack before adding frosting.
  6. In another mixing bowl, beat together heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peak forms. Store whipped cream in the refrigerator until ready to use.
  7. When the cake is cool completely, spread whipped cream on top and sprinkle with peppermint snow or crushed peppermint candy. Serve right away.

READ: Peppermint Chocolate Snack Cake

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com