Photinas, indoor hibiscus' and purple sand cherry

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gardening

Three questions:

I have two photina shrubs that are being eaten by bugs. What can I do to keep the bugs off?

I have two purpleleaf sand cherry shrubs (new last spring) that have leaves, but no flower blooms, yet. When can I expect these shrubs to flower?

Also: I have a potted hibiscus that has not flowered (ever! - purchased this new plant two falls ago). I use miracle gro every two weeks and have placed it in a sunny Eastern window. It was re-potted last fall and has new growth, but no flowers.

sharry_lynn

I can't help you with the first two, but your hibiscus is probably not getting enough sun. Especially if it is a tropical hibiscus, and not a rose of sharon shrub, although I think the rose of sharon thrive in full sun as well. If you have a sunny western window, that may be a better place for your hibiscus. I would also try leaving it outdoors in the sun during the summer. As long as the temperature is above 50 degrees, it'll be fine. I have a few tropical hibiscus shrubs in my garden here in south Louisiana. They're on the western side of my house and get full sun most of the day. They generally start blooming later summer (July or August).

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com