Pie Crust

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

Here is my recipe for pie crust, Dor.

Pie Crust

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flour

With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut together the 2 cups flour, salt, and shortening until it is blended together to a pea size crumbly mixture. Mix the 1/4 flour into the cold water to make a paste. Mix into the crumbly mixture with a fork to form a dough. Don't over mix.

I roll the dough to about a 1/4-inch thickness or thinner. I don't like it to thick. This makes enough for 2 pies. It is an easy crust to roll out, just make sure you roll it out on a generously floured board.

Dor

Thanks for the recipe Kim. Mine is similar. Dale gave me a great recipe too. I made mine in the food processor. I will make 2 batches so I can put a couple in the freezer or just in case my daughter wants to make peach cobbler.

I have to do my baking tomorrow as I have the grands today. School is out and daycare is closed. I am just about finished with Mya's dress. The bodice is ready, I just need to sew on the skirt and attach her petticoat and zipper. It has been a long time since I made a size 3 dress.

richnkim

Oh, Dor. I love to sew little dresses. I have lots of patterns. I have one hanging in the closet that is 3 month size. Just waiting for a new granddaughter. I am making one now for our 14 month old Zakayla. It is a patriotic blue with white stars. It is a balloon skirt and is sleeveless. I am making red pantaloons, and a red balero with white pipping and white star buttons on it. I have patterns from when I was a little girl.

Dor

Wow, Kim I would love to see that dress when you are finished.

Mya's is white with lavender polka dots, it has the peter pan collar and I will put some white roses on it. It is not nearly as elaborate as the one you are making. I will post a pic when I am finished. I have patterns from when my daughters were small and I still have my 27 year old Kenmore sewing machine.

Last edited:

latebloomer

KyaD, I'd love to see that recipe.
I use the same one as Kim, but add a pinch of baking powder and a couple tablespoons of sugar if I'm making a sweet pie, a pinch of herbs if I'm making a savory one.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com