Please help identify this plant

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

tominohio

mailbox068.jpg

I was hoping to transplant some of this plant to my yard for use as a screen/border. It is approx 7-8 ft tall. Was wondering if it is a form of miscanthus? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hope this shows up as a link. I have had trouble with other sites.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was afraid of. I probably will go with a store bought pampas for my yard. I have read that the showier ones aren't hardy to zone 5. Gonna have to find one with good heighth for a screen, and hopefully some nice plumes.

Any suggestions?

Are all forms of Pampas grass invasive? Sharp Blades?

Last edited:
Welcome Tom and I agree with Ron. This stuff grows wild and it's a chore trying to get rid of it. It has roots to China and they hold strong! I've seen neighbors burn it to get rid of it and that didn't always work. I have one huge clump growing beside my pond that I've got to get started digging on. I don't want it to spread. Enjoy the forums,,,

Thank you ladies. Does anyone know if there are forms of pampas grass that are not invasive, and would do well in a zone 5 environment? Would like to find some form of ornamental grass that will grow to at least 6-8 ft. for a screen. And I do like the large plumes on the pampas grass.

But if they are all going to be a problem, maybe I'll just go with a miscanthus gigantus or something.

Suggestions welcome/appreciated.

I don't know about the store bought varieties..but if I wanted to grow them I think I'd use half barrels to pot them in. That way I could move them, dump them or give em away!! I do know that they are cut back in the Fall so they wouldn't give the privacy barrior all year. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is research!
Look for clump formers, not sprawlers!
I know there a few out there, just can't think of their names!
Also look at whether they are drought tolerant, if they are they will be easier to care for!
I'll go have a look!
~Tripsacum dactyloides 5ft x4ft
~Bothriochloa saccharoides 3-4ft
~Muhlenbergia dumosa (Bamboo muhly) 4ft
~Panicum virgatum (Common switchgrass) 4-8ft
~Andropogon gerardii 4-7ft
~Miscanthus purpurascens 4-5ft
~Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' 5-7ft
and ~Miscanthus 'Giganteus' 8-12ft

I kinda like miscanthus sinesis silver feather, or the miscanthus gigantus. Have to check some of those out thanks.

Oh Thanks Ron
I sure don't want that one, I already have enough invasive stuff growing here

I am thinking of starting something from seed. Anybody have any good suggestions for ornamental grass from seed? Would like something tall 6-7 ft or higher for use as border/ screen. Thinking about using a plug tray, want to plant alot of them.

Have you guys ever heard of ornamental grass seed being sterile? On another forum a guy posted that all ornamental grass seed is sterile except for the invasive kind.

Thanks for the link Ron. Heading there now.

Have you guys ever heard of ornamental grass seed being sterile? On another forum a guy posted that all ornamental grass seed is sterile except for the invasive kind.

Thanks for the link Ron. Heading there now.

I haven't heard that one!
He probably had problems with the way he sowed the seeds!

I haven't had any problem growing a variety of different species from seed!
Some need to be stratified before they will germinate (a period of cold anywhere form 4 weeks to several months).
Some need to be scratched/sanded in order to break through the seed coat to let moisture in so they can germinate!
While others are so easy, only taking a few days, or weeks to germinate in warm soil!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back