Pond flowers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SandiB

Can anyone help me with how to pot up a pond flower of any kind? Lily pad? Water Iris? Any kind........??

Thanks ♥

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a mix of clay chunks and gravel when I potted mine up, and slowly placed then underwater so as not to disturb the potting mix too much. If you get mucky water it clears in a day, or so!
I used 1 gallon sized plastic pots with a good flat bottom so they wont tilt and fall over once they send roots down and out through the holes!
You will need to trim back the roots (that grow out the bottom holes) each fall once the plants go dorment!
I repotted only when Ineeded to divide them every couple of years!
Floating plants go into the composter once frost nips them in the fall, since most floaters are tropical! They tend to be difficult to winter over indoors!
For hardy water lilies I used a plastic mesh basket (sold for water plants) and are left on the bottom of the pond overwinter (all leaves and stems are removed in late fall since they die back)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do something like what ron said, however on some plants I just use stones in the pots. They get all the stuff they need from the fish poo. If in need to raise the pot I use bricks or rocks under it.

SandiB

Thanks Crabber & Ron. I received some water lilies & cat tails thro Freecycle..anxious to get them in the pond.
Have either of you used sand & gravel for pond plants?
Appreciate your help ♥

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Crabber & Ron. I received some water lilies & cat tails thro Freecycle..anxious to get them in the pond.
Have either of you used sand & gravel for pond plants?
Appreciate your help ♥

I used gravel on the bottom and the water lily rooted itself in it! It eventually outgrew the mesh pot it was in, and after 7 years I finally had no choice but to pull it up and divide it! All the gravel came up with the whole plant! Kept one chunk and gave the rest away to someone who built a huge pond, and waterfalls, and didn't have any plants.
Have fun!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the somewhat same issue as Ron with the gravel, however, it was not a real issue as I just replanted them in stones. Did not seem to hurt the plant at all.
Show us some pictures!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com