Poor shade house

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

My shade is not looking good with all the snow in it, I need to dig a path to it and see whats going on, its starting to lean to one side, but it just to cold to be digging a path

Attachments

• snow 1-2011 001.jpg
    snow 1-2011 001.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 408

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is probably the weight of snow on it. Good luck that is why I moved to Texas where we rarely get snow.

Gardengoddess

What is a shade house?

Hi GardenBear,

I can't quite tell from your picture what a shade house is. Is it a work area, a seating area??? I agree with LynnPenny, it's the probably the weight of the snow. We had a ton of snow last year and a gal I know said the walls of her home started to bow. One of her neighbors got up on her roof and removed the snow for her.

Dora/GardenGoddess

GardenBear1

the shade house is where I grow all my orchids,epiphyllums and bromeliads plus other shade plants for the summer, by the looks of it the only thing wrong is some of the laths are coming down, I'll replace them when it warms up, This is what it looks like before I filled with plants and every comes up in front of it

sha2-1.jpg

GardenBear1

Well the poor shade house didn't make it under all the snow, it rained and made the snow heaver so it just gave way, but there is a house 3 streets over that lost its front porch to the heavy snow so I don't feel to0 bad, they been telling every one to clean off your house roof I guess some people do listen to well

Attachments

• shade 02.jpg
    shade 02.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 438

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had damage to our chicken pen a couple of years ago from snow and ice. I had wire over the top of the pen in addition to the sides and that held enough snow that yje weight brought it all down, even the sides. When I rebuilt it, I used that garden netting so it would break if we experienced those same conditions again.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Bear, you can now rethink your design!
I'd use 3"x3" for the frame supports and 2"x4" for the roof support!
For the roof you can still use the lattice, you just need to use some sort of clips to hold the roof lattice in place for the warm months and remove the lattice in the fall!

Kya D

My hubby reinforced my chicken run with 2x6's and this year we really needed that. The wire really sagged but it didn't give so the heavy wood really did help.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry you lost you shade house Bear. Are you going to re-build when the snow melts?

GardenBear1

I'm going to put up a hoop house 15x7 this year so I can grow more plants form seeds, it will all so work great for my orchids and epiphyllums and other shade loving plants, I can remove the cover in the winter and not worry about the snow on it

DizzyDaff

shade house

Hey Bear, sorry it didn't make it, but sounds like you have the opportunity to make something even better this year!
Be sure & take pictures as the project progresses! ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com