Poppies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sfishergirl

Anyone here start these from seed? I have some seed onits way to me for white, red, and black poppies and need to know what works and doesn't for starting the seeds

latebloomer

Hi there,
its going to sound weird but this works for me....
Decide where you want your poppies. Rough up the surface of the soil and lay a paper towel over the area. Scatter your poppy seeds on the towel and sprinkle fine compost or potting mix lightly over the seeds. Using a fine mist,saturate and keep moist (if your temps are hot you may have to do this twice a day). When sprouts are an inch high water as you would the rest of your seedlings. I think this works because poppies HATE to be transplanted and this allows them to establish naturally.

Bernie

I haven't had much luck starting them in the garden. I think because it gets so hot here it's next to impossible to keep them moist. Here is how I grew some last spring. I poked several holes in the bottom of some take out drink cups. I lined them with several layers of newspaper, filled with moist potting soil and scatter a few seeds on the top of the soil of each cup. I bottom watered never allowing the soil to dry out. In some cups nothing happened, in others I thinned so there was only one healthy plant. When the plants were about three inches tall I tore away the cup and planted the newspaper, plant and soil. This way I never disturbed the roots. The newspaper will eventually decompose. This worked for me but as I said I’ve only done it once. I’m going to try it with lupines as they don’t like to be transplanted either. Good luck!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the poppies are annual ones then your best bet is to hold off and sow them outdoors in late fall.
Most annual species need a long cold period in order to germinate properly.
The seeds are best left uncovered, just press them into the soil surface and then water them in. They need light in order to germinate.
Another thought is that you can winter sow them! There are a lot of members who use this technique so if you have questions about it feel free to ask!

sfishergirl

I guess I will have to try and see if they are annual or not. I am going to try to grow them as soon as they get here. I cant wait the pictures of them are beautiful. Now hopefully I can find a site that will tell me if they are annual or not

Bernie

OH I was speaking of the perennials. It seems the annuals just can't wait to grow just sow them in the fall and up they come in the spring.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com