Post your rose finds here!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal,Was it a GRADE 1?
The BigLots closest to me had dead roses, I wasn't even temped to buy one!
Actually,I was rather bothered so I I advised the manager to send them back!
And was wishing I were rich, I'd buy them all just to discard!And if I lived near there I would have been in that store advising not to buy!
Anyone new to rose growing will think they failed:(
When it is the actual specific plant,not them..
They were horrifying last year too.Before that they were wonderful..Go figure..

I am very happy for you ..Enjoy!

Kale:)

Happy happy joy joy! The rose the dog drug across the property and bare-rooted for me is recovering nicely. A little damage but there are 3 rosebuds coming on. I'm happy about that!

A few of my roses....the first pic is a rose I bought from Big lots last year. It bloomed one pink rose in the late fall which looked like an old fashioned pink...which is not that great, just a pink medium sized rose. Now.. it has bloomed these tiny little white blossoms! I'm in awe!!! What happened to the pink roses?

Click on the image for a larger view.

Attachments

• rose2.jpg
    rose2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 340
Here's more of my roses...

Attachments

• white rose.jpg
    white rose.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 354
  • red rose.jpg
    red rose.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 359
  • Hot pink.jpg
    Hot pink.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 334
A couple more...the first is my dumpster rose and my very favorite. Can you imagine ..someone discarded this rose beside a construction dumpster??? RJ found it and brought it home..still wrapped in the original packaging. Hehe, can't say I was sorry that someone tossed it!!:D

Attachments

• dumpster rose.jpg
    dumpster rose.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 372
  • bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 402
My rosa rugosa and my seven sisters rose are both doing great. They are budding their little leaves out so at least they are still alive.

I love roses but was never real fond of growing them as the upkeep takes a lot of work and time but these I have growing have been very simple. I keep them watered and give a little fertiler when neccessary and they are doing fine. I have a few more but will post pics later..

Dawn, we have seven sisters growing by the roadsides here. They are so pretty! I've tried to transplant a few to my yard but they just won't tolerate being moved and I still don't have one! I'm going to try again soon.

Mainegal,Was it a GRADE 1?
The BigLots closest to me had dead roses, I wasn't even temped to buy one!
Actually,I was rather bothered so I I advised the manager to send them back!
And was wishing I were rich, I'd buy them all just to discard!And if I lived near there I would have been in that store advising not to buy!
Anyone new to rose growing will think they failed:(
When it is the actual specific plant,not them..
They were horrifying last year too.Before that they were wonderful..Go figure..

I am very happy for you ..Enjoy!

Kale
It says 1 1/2. I never knew about the grades and what they meant until I read this thread. Thanks everyone for all the info

Kale
It says 1 1/2. I never knew about the grades and what they meant until I read this thread. Thanks everyone for all the info
Mainegal,
Grade1 is best and keep in mind that a grade 1 this year may be a grade 1 1/2 next year due to die back.
Have you planted it already?
If your new rose is a dormant rose...(ha ha I wrote tose but caught it before you did *lol)
Let it sit in water in shade for an hour (or more is ok.) up to the knuckle. Some instruct on burying the knuckle others say leave it at or just above ground level. I mostly plant with it above, and compost around for fun.
Some however have settled and I am concerned one of my raise beds is no longer raised but lower then ground level:eek::eek:

Glad you will have fun with it! Learning is fun!

Gloria My 7 sisters was a trade and it transplanted really well. I wonder if you could cut the root sucker off and leave it in the ground by the main plant until it gets a good start
then move it

I have put off looking at this thread because I lost so many roses this winter and I was afraid I'd run out and buy roses posted here before I gave mine a real chance to come back. Mr. Lincoln, Taboo, Peace, Dbl. Delight, Ole’ and Don Juan are definitely dead. Several more are still in doubt.
I am in love with Dolly Pardon and will see if I can find that one the rest I will try to replace with cuttings.

I have put off looking at this thread because I lost so many roses this winter and I was afraid I'd run out and buy roses posted here before I gave mine a real chance to come back. Mr. Lincoln, Taboo, Peace, Dbl. Delight, Ole’ and Don Juan are definitely dead. Several more are still in doubt.
I am in love with Dolly Pardon and will see if I can find that one the rest I will try to replace with cuttings.

Bernie I'm so sorry yours died. I hate it when I lose a rose. My neighbors are all happy I've been buying the Austin roses and putting them in the front yard to share. Like I tell them I intend to put a new one in every year.

Kale
I soaked it in a bucket overnight then planted it. Will see it grows for me.,I put it in front of the house as the deer don't usually bother anything that close to the house. I'll be praying that they don't touch the rose. I have some tulips and they have never touched them that close but did in my gardens.

Gloria My 7 sisters was a trade and it transplanted really well. I wonder if you could cut the root sucker off and leave it in the ground by the main plant until it gets a good start
then move it
An exact root sucker?
From a root?
I would cut it as close as possible and treat it like a cutting and hope for the best*LOL
I probably wouldn't keep it on, then again curiosity may get the best of me..may-be...
It is said, that suckers drain the blooms. Not positive how factual that statement is.I only had a growth on my dead looking rose,I cut it clean off and planted ,it has not bloomed yet.that was 07-08,09 will bloom or not *lol
I am waiting :)
It was a growth on the knuckle of my Hybrid Tea.
I have pics on my Kale's Korner Gallery:) I was floored when I saw it in 08, was told to chuck it *LOL

Kale:D

Are you sure you didn't cut them down too quickly (soon)?
hummm. Did you cut them all down already?
What do they look like?
I am praying for a few of mine,2 never did much actually I never got a bloom from one of them the other didn't give me a Climbing Orchid Masterpiece bloom, although pretty it was the wrong bloom.

Would you consider planting them over again?
Even if in the same place, just add (homemade) compost or good topsoil.
I have 2 Mr Lincolns for many years, they have gone threw some harsh times.
One of my Don Juans didnt have much of a chance a flying pest kept multiplying nearly in the knuckle:( I'm watching this year.

Mainegal, why over night?
that was kinda long but it should be ok.Did you water as you planted to let the water settle the soil up in the roots?

Mainegal, why over night?
that was kinda long but it should be ok.Did you water as you planted to let the water settle the soil up in the roots?

No reason, threw it in the bucket when I thought of it and said I'll plant it in the am. I didn't water as I planted it. I watered it well after I planted it. It's been raining all week so haven't checked it out, if it's not pouring tomorrow after work, Im going to do a walk around the yard to see what is up and in bloom

Mainegal,
Oh, Ok. What kind of soil do you work in? I have mostly wonderful compost
with spots of no end of sand and clay! What a job to work in!

Good, glad she is in!*LOL

Gloria, I think we got busy talking about the grades....
Your Roses are beautiful and the only thing I can think of is the mother rose was white or the pink was a mistake,the rose forgot who she was*lol as far as the other white..is it slightly fragrant and do you know his./her name?
Looks like my JFK.
The cute pink is so gentle and soft with a little class..Makes you want share your donut with someone...*LOL The red one, do you know who it is and do you have a full open bloom pic?
He (she) looks familiar (hehehehe)

Mainegal how is your new baby Rose doing?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back