Praying Mantis I think.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

This was on my hummingbird feeder today and I think it's a praying mantis. Am I right? I have had several of them this year around and in my house. When they get in the house I take the fish net to catch them and release them outside.

Attachments

• Praying Mantis 1.jpg
    Praying Mantis 1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 324
  • Praying Mantis 3.jpg
    Praying Mantis 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 316
Praying Mantis' are good luck ! :) Enjoy that luck ! It's also illegal to harm them. We had a 'herd' of them (a nest) one year. Gosh it was fun watching them grow up.~ Curbster

They are fun to watch them flying! They look like a pale green blurr!
I've been in their flight plan a few times and had them land on me! They do not have much control on directions when they are in flight, but you can usually hear them coming! They make a low crinkly paper sound with their wings!
I just pick them off me, and place them where I think they were heading!
We have brown ones here too, though the green ones are in the majority!

We have the brown ones to. Their the ones that come in the house. I went to turn the lamp off one night and there was one sitting on the lampshade. Scared the daylights out of me until I realized what it was.

Curbie its about time I had some good luck (wishful thinking I know) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This really is a funny story ~ my nextdoor neighbor is frightened of insects and she called me in tither one day,"YOU HAVE TO COME OVER HERE AND GET THIS PRAYING MANTIS AWAY FROM ME! IT'S STALKING ME!" It was on the roof of our shed, between the 2 yards. So...I went over. She said, "Watch this...." and as she moved closer to it (to get through her kitchen door, this saggone mantis REALLY did rush at her. I tried it and it didn't want anything to do with me. So I shooshed it higher up on the rof of our shed, came home, and used a yardstick to 'guide' it more into our yard. I watched it for a while and thought all was well. DAGGONE if the phone rang and it was nextdoor: IT'S BACK AND WON'T LET ME IN THE HOUSE AGAIN!" (She was trying to sunbathe.) IT truly had a 'thing' for her. SO, I guarded her from the mantis while she went in the house. It was like some science fiction movie ~ Curbie

That's pretty funny. Maybe you should tell your neighbor she should install a second door. LOL

I know she's on a lot of medications but she REALLY wasn't hallecinating ! Wwe still laugh about it. I torture her sometimes with,"THERE'S A SPIDER HEADING TOWARDS YOUR HOUSE!" She kills more valuable insects. But that mantis had absolutely no interest in me ~ hm, maybe I died and forgot to lay down ! :) ~ Curbie

I love them but when they look at me I always think they are sizing me up for food. They have that look about them. LOL!

I always respect carnivorous insects, and use a stick to move them!
I don't like the way they look at me either!
It's creepy the way the pivot their heads and look right at you!

They look like green robots ! Curbie :)

Attachments

• aircr_001.gif
    aircr_001.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 306
  • robotclr_e0.gif
    robotclr_e0.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 303
Ron & Curbie,
Think the movie "Predator" I really think they got some of him from the Mantis! I had one a week or so ago that really I thought was going to jump on my face. He kept turning his head as if to say "ok I can take you". Like you said kinda creepy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back