Preserving Herbs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I have some pint size jars and would like to preserve some rosemary and other herbs I have. I know that it has to be dried out completely before putting it in the jar. And last year when I did this, the rosemary and other herbs started to mold (it was yucky!). Has anyone attempted to do this? Can it be done?

Kya D

I save herbs in zip lock baggies. The trick is to make sure that they are really, really, really dry. If they are at all moist they will mold when you seal them up in a bottle or baggie. If it is warm and very dry outside you can hang them outside, but I generally just put them on a plate or bundle them and hang them and let them dry in my house. It may be too wet in GA to get them to dry enough. If you have a gas stove you can put them in the oven with just the pilot light and that will put out enough heat to dry them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dry some stuff, fruits and berries. But I also put the dried poducts in the freezer so they won't mold or get bugs.

Kya D

I have dried herbs in the microwave but you really have to watch them cuz they can burn pretty fast

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a dryer, Kallie. But if I didn't, I would use the oven on a really low setting.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com