Problems with replanting roses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I have one more dwarf rose that I'd like to take out of the ground and put into a pot, at least until I can find it a permenent home in the ground.

Now when I was digging up the other shoots a couple of weeks ago, I felt and saw that these shoots are actually connected by a long tube, instead of (what I expected) roots. I cut off one of the shoots by clipping both ends of the tube (the shoot was about 2 inches high, the tube it was connected to was about 5 inches, when I put it into the pot), but it is not doing well right now.

I'm wondering if the problem is that this tube is not able to bring in water, like the roots would be able to? Is this a factor in that older shoot (with the 5 inches of tube) not doing well, even though I'm making sure that it gets watered every other day?

If so, then what would be the best way to transplant this last shoot that is still in the ground? It is now about 5 inches tall, maybe a bit more, and I really would prefer to keep this one alive.

Should I just soak it in water, until I see roots forming?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com