Pruning Grape Vines

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

tominohio

I have a grape vine that is in it's second year in my yard. It's about 3 ft tall with many branches. I had never thought about pruning it till I was watching an episode of Hogs Gone Wild, (the hogs were in a vineyard in texas). They showed the lady pruning the vines, and I'm like duh, I should probably have been doing that.

Now that spring has sprung, should I do any pruning, or wait till.....?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
First, Like "Hogs Gone Wild" Second, yes pruning your grape vines helps them produce more. Also removing dead wood helps new growth ;)

tominohio

Thanks Ron, I had been to that one. From what I've read it seems Feb-early spring is the best time for my area. I just was wondering since I missed that window, should I wait till next year, or do some this yr.

Crabbergirl: Me and my kids watch every episode. Thing I don't understand is when they "relocate" them. Thier population is such a problem, they should donate all of em to the soup kitchen. I lean towards the animal lover more than the hunter but when they are that much of a nuisance I don't see a problem if the meat gets eaten. Probably pretty good eatin.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd do some pruning now, but do not remove more then one third of the total growth.
You my notice that the cuts will bleed/weep. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as the cuts will eventually seal themselves!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com