Pumpkins In Georgia

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I am attempting to start some Big Max Pumpkin seeds..I read some info online but can't seem to have all my questions answered. Of course I live in GA and we have this terrible clay. I read that Pumpkins need to have rich soil..but my other plants have grown just fine in normal dirt.

There's not clay everywhere you dig and sometimes you have to dig deep. And I found this spot on the lawn where the grass isn't growing anyways and I want to maybe make a circle and start the seeds in the ground. They will have PLENTY of room to grow..just wanted some tips from someone!

Thanks.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kallie, there may be a reason the grass does not grow there. So it's possible the pumpkins may not grow there either. There are some inexpensive soil test kits available at garden centers and it would be wise to check the soil in that area to see if it is lacking something.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Randy. There may be an environmental issue as to why the grass will not grow there which in turn would also cause other plants to not grow there.

Pumpkins in the south like a little shade from the hot baking sun. Mine are in the shady section of the garden and thrive. Not full shde just not full sun either. They do not want to be dried out they like to have moist soil not wet but not dry. I always prop my fruits up with a lid from a 5 gal bucket or something to keep them from sinking in the ground. They seem to not get as many fruit pest if they are not in direct contact with the ground. Deer, Fox, Dilla, possums and squirrels will eat pumkins and melons , so taking care to protect them from those will ensure you keep the fruit. A dilla was in the garden this week and actually ate the stem from a small pumkin so I just have it on the counter in the kitchen , I hate to throw it out but I know it is nowhere near ripe.

KallieLashay

Thanks again..I will use that advice..because my pumpkins are already growing. It took no time at all. And does a fake Owl work for keeping out the armadillas and squirrels out?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com