Purple Passion Vine

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Fidelslady

I recently bought a purple passion vine. The leaves are drying up on it. :( Was wondering if anyone has any idea why--too much water or not enough?? :confused: It is a beautiful plant and I was hoping to have it grow all across the top of the wall in my living room but.....if all the leaves dry up and fall off I have to assume something is killing the plant?? Help please???!! Thanks!!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
wish I could help but have never had one. good luck someone will be along soon to help you.

Dor

I have one but mine is growing outside. I am in Texas and I water it once or twice a week in the zone 9 hot weather. I am not sure why you leaves are drying.

latebloomer

Hi there,
This can be a picky plant. Is the soil moist to an inch down below the pot line? Is it root bound? Is the plant leggy? Let me know so I can help.

Fidelslady

Well....fiance "helped" me out the other night and WATERED it--lots of excess. Then I read on internet yesterday it likes high light so I moved it to the inside porch. Came home from work and fiance had moved it outside. Am in GA so around Oct/Nov will need to come inside. The lady I bought it from said it likes to be rootbound--so yes on that count. Yes it has one really long branch and only a coupld little side shoots coming up at roo area. It had beautiful leaves when I bought it last week but a lot of the leaves have dried up--as in hard and falling off--even the few flower buds it had died instead of flowering!!! WOW!! It rained last night so I imagine it will not need water for at least a week now!! lol Any tips you can offer latebloomer I will be grateful for. I love this plant already and cannot wait to get it growing right so it can cover a wall!! Thanks!!

latebloomer

Try to get it to drain (even if you have to lay it on its side). Poke a pencil or chopstick through the soil as if it is really root bound the water may be bypassing the roots. You might want to cut the long shoot and root it in water. The best one I've ever seen was rooted in water only mixed with VF11 plant food/fertilizer,no soil at all. It loves light but not direct sun.

Spider_Lily

I have them growing wild here.Some in shade other's in full sun.They seem to grow better in the well drained soil.We mow them down.:)

Dor

I tried growing some cutting from mine with no luck. I am going to try again and on a vacant lot there is a pretty one that is different one that I want to take some cutting when it cools off a bit. It is lighter in color than mine and it is wrapped around a large sago palm.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Sounds like oyu got the answer...I have never had any luck grwoing them inside...always had them in the green house or outside...as like oyu read they need lots of light...depending where you live they can take over your yard

Fidelslady

Yes--purple passion is the one with purple velvet leaves--sooooooo beautiful and fast growing I hear!!

Thanks everyone. I will see about breaking up the roots a little--however it has no problem draining. I will cut the long shoot off and root it--maybe in a couple pieces. Dor Do you mow it because you don't like it or only to keep it in check?? I assume it comes back double??!! lol The different colored one would be a nice addition to my dark colored one!! and Spider Lily--I would be interested in pieces of yours as well! I had no idea it would grow wild--outside in the ground. I just bought it. The lady says it likes to be root bound so I have not repotted it--however now I just might do that?!! Let me know in a PM how much postage you would like to send cuttings to me--just wrap the "raw end" in damp paper towels--they will be fine. As for rooting--the root easy, I rooted a piece a few days in just plain tap water!!

Fidelslady

purple-passion-vine.htm
The photo on this site understates the plant somewhat but this IS the plant I am talking about!!

Last edited:

Fidelslady

If it ever shows the link you can see the plant--included another link as well. If it doesn't show it the name is Purple Velvet Plant, Velvet Plant, Royal Velvet Plant
Gynura aurantiaca

Kya D

OMGosh Bonnie that is the one I use to have years ago as a houseplant. As a house plant they are really fun to grow.

Dor

Yes--purple passion is the one with purple velvet leaves--sooooooo beautiful and fast growing I hear!!

Thanks everyone. I will see about breaking up the roots a little--however it has no problem draining. I will cut the long shoot off and root it--maybe in a couple pieces. Dor Do you mow it because you don't like it or only to keep it in check?? I assume it comes back double??!! lol The different colored one would be a nice addition to my dark colored one!! and Spider Lily--I would be interested in pieces of yours as well! I had no idea it would grow wild--outside in the ground. I just bought it. The lady says it likes to be root bound so I have not repotted it--however now I just might do that?!! Let me know in a PM how much postage you would like to send cuttings to me--just wrap the "raw end" in damp paper towels--they will be fine. As for rooting--the root easy, I rooted a piece a few days in just plain tap water!!

No Bonnie, I just let me grow as it may. It has grown into my honeysuckle and now one is bending over it is so heavy. I will take some cuttings from mine and the one down the block when it cools over here and see if I can root some for us both. I just love them.

Fidelslady

Yes Dor--yours sounds DELIGHTFUL intertwined with honeysuckle!! That must be a sight to see!! Wow!! Have photos?? Thank you so much!! I plan to buy a couple Sweet Potato Vine plants soon--Blackie and the Limelight one--I LOVE them. If the place still has them they are huge plants in hanging baskets--I can share plenty!! They root easily in water as well and would look absolutely lovely with other vines as well. Though the only way they would grow upwards instead of down would be to grow intertwined with other vines like Cardinal Vine or Cypress or honeysuckle, etc! Would look wonderful too!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com