Putting up deer fence in my front yard.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking of biting the bullet and putting up deer fence and fencing in my front yard and moving everything inside it and then I can also have a bigger veggie garden and no lawn in the front. When the back gets finished the lawn will be out there. I'm tired of not being able to have what I want for plants without the deer eating them. Going to ask a friend that has one of those rolling measuring tapes if I can borrow it to see how much fencing I will need. I had written so much and lost it so stopping now and will start another one. Don't want to retype it all over again and again....lol

Last edited:
I have a banken on the side where my daylight basement is that will be included in the fence and going to be planting all daylilies there so they can take over the banken.(spelling is not right but can't think how to spell it.
Thinking of putting the azealeas and rhodies along the back where my veggie garden is now.
It will help me be able to plant what I want with out the deer/woodchuck or groundhog what ever you call them from eating stuff. It will also help me with the selling of my plants as the animals won't get to them before I can dig them up or after I have them potted up.
I ordered a couple samples of deer fencing yesterday so waiting for them to come. It's going to be expensive but tired of trying to have nice gardens and the animals eating stuff.
Will try to take some pics tomorrow and post them so you can see what I'm talking about fencing in. Will need your opinions when I go to lay it all out.
I was offered a beta testing of a new gardening program on my iphone but having problems with it. Got to contact them. Would love to try it out and see what it would look like with different things planted in different spots... Wish my luck as I'm going to need it.....

Last edited:
You sound like you have had enough!
The deer problem will never go away because of die-hard animal rights advocates who prevent yearly deer herd culling!
There are just too many deer, and eventually there will be an outbreak of some sort that will spread through the herds....I don't want to get into that issue, nor the threat from deer ticks ......
I read somewhere that deer herds in general, and for all locals, should be reduced by 2/3s!!! That is a lot of deer that could be used as food! The deer herds should be culled yearly and the meat processed for people! Then a manageable herd level could be maintained!
Sorry Laurie! I get pissed off with the fact that there are too many deer!
I don't have the problem you have, and can see you are frustrated!
You may need a high fence to keep them out...I forget the hieght required, but it is something like 3+ metres since deer can jump almost that high!
Keep us posted as you go along on your project to have a deer free garden!

Ron
The deer fencing i've been looking at is 7.5-8', still doing research on it as i want to make sure I get the right stuff. It will also help with the deer ticks too. Yes I've had enough. they are talking about increasing the deer herd here in Maine. Say what?? there is plenty to go around in southern maine that is for sure. Living on a game preserve doesn't help either. I did have a permit to shoot them last yr but never got anyone to do it and it's such a hassle, have to call everytime, give them to a food bank after keeping so many(got to find a butcher that will do it for the food banks and it could be hrs away from me). I hate the deer can't you tell.....lol..

Last edited:
Went around and took pics of the yard with my camera and iphone.Got the program working, if I would read all of the email, I would know what to do..lol looks like a cool gardening program. Will be exciting to do my yard and see what it will look like different ways. got to get some time to play around with it tomorrow..
Will post some pics tomorrow as it's bed time for me...

Laurie good luck! On both the fence and the phone app. We cut our house phone off and now my cell won't work at home :rolleyes: I have had the same service for 5 years and it decided to no longer work at the house, but of course it waited till I cut the land line off!

Tim built a fence and gates for a neighbor with that 8 ' fencing. It has done the trick!

Here is what I have been told...deer can jump high and deer can jump wide but deer cannot jump high and wide.
Maybe 2 four foot fences 3.5 feet apart would stop em. Plus you could plant between the fences. The fences would be to close together for them to jump and to tall for them to reach over to eat. Someone suggested running chickens between the fences to keep the bugs down
I have also heard that if you have a solid fence that deer will not jump over anything unless they can see where they will land
Hey it makes sense to me.
Or I have seen 5' fences with a riser on each post that goes up another 3 feet with a rope/wire/barb wire etc run around the top

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a problem and would sometimes be painful aesthetically and sometimes take effect on what you plant as well. My neighbor had the same area as she started out with an open setup, probably just like yours. And she would often find rabbits munching on them. Though there was lesser concern over rabbits as they do not get a full hop at such tender age, but it was better to be safe than sorry. A 2 foot fence would be enough, really.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back