Question

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

Is the night blooming cerus the same thing as the Epie or orchid cacti? I think I am confused between the 3..are they all differant plants or all the same or what..lol

RR

R

RiverRock

I did google them all and they appear to be the same plant but I couldnt tell for sure.

RR

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to www.ask.com and typed in your question only abbreviated--this is one of the answers I got.

The plant with flat leaves is an Orchid Cactus or Dutchman's Pipe, the Night Blooming Cirrus is an ordinary looking climbing cactus, see http://aboatbuildingjournal.com/night_blooming_cirrus_in_paradise.htm the confusion occurs because the blooms are almost identical.

The computer is a wonderful tool you just have to persevere. My laptop computer has become a book of knowledge for me.

R

RiverRock

LOL..i googled forever trying to find the differance!!

Thanks so much dale:D looks like I have the night blooming cerceus and the epie. But now I can tell them apart..lol

RR

GardenBear1

Oxypetallum Night blooming cereus is a climber that can get ever tall 10'' you can grow them the same way you would any epie, the only different it the epie is a hybrid of a jungle cactus and the oxy can take more sun and in some parts of the world the can be grown in the ground, oxy bloom at night and the flowers last only about 8hrs always white and well worth the wait to see and smell, epie blooms can last for a few days but all so have every lager flowers and come in many colors and sizes, in this day and age lot of people use the word epie to cover lots of jungle cactus this include's the oxy, I've even hear it used when people talk about holiday cactus but these are in a class of there own I don't find them to be an ordinary looking climbing cactus, if you keep the pruned you can have a full looking bush, I try and keep mine about 7" tall so I can move them in the house come winter. just one plant can give you 100s of cutting over the years and there easy to grow

oxy09002.jpg

this is no ordinary cactus with blooms like this, this guy has been cut back and still blooms every year
this poor guy has been beat up by the wind and still gave me blooms :D

oxy5200142.jpg

GardenBear1

I kind of forgot to say an epie is also a Orchid Cactus just a different way of saying epie, Dutchman's Pipe I think is a vine and has a flower that looks like a pipe

R

RiverRock

So the one you posted is the night blooming cereus? can you post both so I can see the differance? Thanks so much bear for the great info.

blessings,
RR

R

RiverRock

This is what was send to me..the one in the middle is supised to be the night blooming cereus and the 2 on the sides epies.

Attachments

• Garden and house plants 004.JPG
    Garden and house plants 004.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 292

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com