Rain barrels

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

How many of you use rain barrels, I've been using one now for 2 yrs and thinking about getting 2 more, that will give me all most 200 gal of free water or a savings of $75.00 a year on my water bill, rain water is better for your plant than water piped in from the city, there no added junk to rain water and its free, I know some city will give you a discount on your water bill for using rain water in you yard, barrels should be food grade type and they pay for the self in just 2 years of use

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use 30gl plastic drums, the ones for grape juice! used to make wine!
When one is full I move it over and place another one in its place! I have three I can rotate, next year I'll link them together so I wont have to move them!
Everything grows better with rainwater, especially my house plants and orchids! I don't get mineral build up like I do using water from the cistern ,or the lake...and the rainwater doesn't cost anything!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read a story recently at the nursing home and in the text, written by a Colorado resident, that rain barrels were illegal there. I did not verify that as factual information though. It's interesting though that some look upon rain barrels a way to save water and another looks opon them as stealing water.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do , but unless it is a wet year we don't get enough to make it worth the effort. If it is a wet year we don't need the barrels. Catch 22

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have 9 wet months on a consistent basis and the threat of wetness in the other three, so we surely don't need barrels.

Maggie

I've been using rain barrels for several years. I have one thats smaller than the others that I have by the front porch. It's about 20 gallon and short, fat and round. I have my rain chain directing water into it. Its really pretty and I keep all my plants on the porch watered from it. I want another one for the other end of the porch but it will have to be a 50 gal. one because that end is really high. Hopefully I can get one in the spring.
Randy, I remember reading that article awhile back and could hardly believe it. If I remember correctly they were having a water shortage to.

farmerlon

I read a story recently at the nursing home and in the text, written by a Colorado resident, that rain barrels were illegal there.

I think that has changed, and Colorado residents can now legally collect rain water.
I'm not totally certain about that, but I think that's right. Maybe someone who lives in Colorado can let us know for sure.:)

Scarez

We don't need rain barrels here, that's true. Tho I'd love to have that extra water for my summer... there's the problem with mosquitoes and sitting water

kinnika

We have 4 of them here and wouldn't be without them. Hubby has them with a spout on the bottom so we can just run a hose on them and put the water where we want. The spout is about 5 inches off the bottom becuse we put a couple of goldfish in each one to keep the mosquito larva down. Works great. I give it to all my inside plants all year around. During chinooks it will usually fill at least one as the snow melts off of our metal roof.

GardenBear1

I'm still using mine and will until it starts to freeze, then I'll drain it for the winter, I ordered 2 more 75 gal barrels for next spring. the city will give me a discount on my water bill of 2% WOW how nice of them :rolleyes:

KallieLashay

What??? This is brilliant I never thought of this! Thanks so much! Im so excited about this. I didnt know that city water could be so harmful.

tominohio

I cut my downspout about 3 ft off the ground so it would empty into the 55 gallon barrel. It worked good, except I forgot to turn it over this year. The water froze, the barrel fell over, and tore the down spout from it's attatchments.

As for the mosquitos I put one of those rings for ponds in it. Probably will try the bleach thing. Does it work good?

Bradeen

good info here. I have no idea about these things before but after reading the discussion i feel very knowledgeable about this topic.

All depending where everyone lives but I always am on the lookout for barrels. Picked up 2 more this spring (free) and with the local hardware store I have about $9 invested in each. I have 6 in use and have soaker hoses hooked up to the hard to get areas in my yard. Love them

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have about a nine month wet season when we don't need supplemental watering and during the summer months, we don't get enough rain to fill a barrel.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com