Raised Beds -- Green Safety

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

JHrusky

I am in the process of replacing our raised garden beds. They are 18 beds on the right of the drawing.
They are over 7 years old and rotting well. We used standard 2x6s to build them along with compost and vermiculte and peat moss within.
Now since we have to replace them are we ok in using 'green' treated lumber if we want to stay as natural and chemical free as possible? We worry about the green chemical leeching into the soil and then the vegetables. The cost of green lumber is not much different than standard lumber, but a LOT less expensive than, say, cedar. The key is we'd prefer to have it last at least 12-15 years before needing replacement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Garden 2017a.jpg
    Garden 2017a.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 151
Hello JHrusky.
I would be concerned over the long term use of treated lumber too.
You could use a liner inside the raised beds to prevent contamination of the soil.
I'd do some research on which liner would be best for the long term.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back