Raised Beds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had mentioned the raised beds Tim has been building for a few of our neighbors. Here are the pictures. I tried to get details you would have questions on. Some of the beds were made with used lumber, we do have some very responsible recyclers in our area. Tim is really good about trying to please his clients so don't mind some of the more used looking beds ;)
The bottoms are Hog Wire Panels then a layer of hardware cloth , then landscape cloth to keep the dirt in.

Attachments

• Raised bed2.jpg
    Raised bed2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 454
  • raised bed 3.jpg
    raised bed 3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 453
  • raised bed 4.jpg
    raised bed 4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 436
  • Raised beds 1.jpg
    Raised beds 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 438

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell Tim he is doing a wonderful job. I'm going to show these pictures to my hubby. maybe we will do some raised bed here.

swindy

Wow Nancy what great raised beds. I lov the way Tim raised them up so high on the Cinder Blocks, no bending at all! Wow who would have thought you could garden standing up! Love it

Dor

Nancy they are wonderful. Please tell Tim I said He is doing a beautiful job. I am going to get some built for me.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't wait til he builds mine. It's great , you don't have to bend over and most all critters can't get in. You can string electric fence around the top and keep the deer out.
The blocks were recycled, and I don't think , from my observations, I think the 4 X 4 post work better. It was somewhat difficult to get the "trys" on top of the blocks, because you have to build the bands first , then attach the wire. Then place it on top of the blocks, where as if you use the post method you set the post , then attach the bands like you would if building a deck. The post are PT and set in concrete. Eveything else is yellow pine.

tonya

mark erected the 8' posts for me yesterday...he is going to drill through the top of them and insert pressure treated dowel rods (i didn't even know they existed!??!) so i can hang baskets with tumbling toms cherry tomatoes...will send more pix when things start greening:rolleyes::rolleyes:HPIM0874.jpg

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool. I am still waiting on my pergola and grape arbor LOL! And now raised beds, you what they say ,
if you live with a carpenter.........

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabber, what you could do is start on that yourself and obviously do it wrong and let him take over. LOL

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
You got it. Problem with Crabber though is she is no slouch when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabber, what you could do is start on that yourself and obviously do it wrong and let him take over. LOL

that's great advice, however he would smell the rat, as he knows I am totally able to do it. I jusy don't have time :(

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You got it. Problem with Crabber though is she is no slouch when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Thanks Randy ;) If I wasn't working it would be no issue I would have already had them. He did build me a bean trellis yesterday, for my yard long beans. It's about 10X10!

Dor

You bean trellis

Thanks Randy ;) If I wasn't working it would be no issue I would have already had them. He did build me a bean trellis yesterday, for my yard long beans. It's about 10X10!

Nanci, will you post a pic of your bean trellis for us to see please?
I planted bush beans but would love to plant some pole beans and build or have some trellis' built for my roses.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I have ever planted any other green beans but Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake beans. It has been so many years ago that I switched to Blue Lake that I don't even remember the reason.

SandiB

Where I work (seasonal) they sell Blue Lake bulk seeds in bush & pole...Kentucky Wonder only in pole...and about 20 other varieties...pole or bush. We may try a pole bean this year.
I start back to work next week weighing & selling bulk seeds. :) Its the busy & FUN season!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com