Raised veggie beds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

Dor what is the tarp for and the newspaper?
I sorta lost you there.

10 inches high?
What plants are you planning to grow in the beds?

Kale:)

The tarp is to cover the treated lumber Kale or I can cover the wood with plastic also the tarp can be used to put down on the ground to eliminate removing all that sod. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is not possible for me to remove the grass under my raised beds. The shredded wet newspaper helps to make good compost I have read.

I am going to grow veggies in my raised beds and also in the lasagna bed I am making. Here's a pic. I am going to grow pole beans along this fence, and squash. In my raised beds I will be planting purple hull peas, cucumber, peppers, more tomatoes, and bush beans.

Attachments

• tn_East side of house 003.JPG
    tn_East side of house 003.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

Bernie

Well I finally got around to getting my lumber cut at HD for my last 2 raised beds. I bought 2X12 X10 lumber and had it cut in half. I bought enough to make 2 raised beds and yesterday I bought 10 bags of topsoil and had that put down for my lasagna beds and today I bought 7 bags of topsoil and 7 bags of compost. I now need to put down my shredded newspaper. Once I get that done tomorrow or Friday my yardman will be here Saturday he can remove the grass if he wants or I bought 2 tarps to go under the raised beds and up the sides as someone had mentioned(sorry I don't rememember who)and bring in a load of gardening mix and a yard and 1/2 of mulch and finsh what I started. I am so very proud of how my yard and garden is looking. I want to be able to get the rest of my veggies started on the 25th in my area that is a good date. Happy gardening everyone.

Dor I think I am the one who started the tarp idea. I would only use it to cover the treated lumber but not over the sod. I would just put down some newpaper over the sod then pile on the soil, compost etc. That would be more then enough to kill the sod. The sod will compost and all those good earthworms will be able to come up. If you put down the tarp you'll need to poke a lot of holes in it for drainage. Good luck!

Dor

Dor I think I am the one who started the tarp idea. I would only use it to cover the treated lumber but not over the sod. I would just put down some newpaper over the sod then pile on the soil, compost etc. That would be more then enough to kill the sod. The sod will compost and all those good earthworms will be able to come up. If you put down the tarp you'll need to poke a lot of holes in it for drainage. Good luck!

Thanks Bernie, I will put the Newspaper down. Did you cut your tarp up Bernie? I have a garbage bag full and more to shredd. My yardman will dig that sod up I know. He is so good at what he does for me. I post post pics of my raised beds in progress. I am so very proud of what I am doing in my backyard. On the way home just now I saw lots of discarded tires. I think I will get some ot them and grow some plants in them.

K

Kale

I have to run someplace, I will voice my few thoughts when I get back.:)
Been in overdrive...

K

Kale

I'm sorry I just walked in and need to eat, dead to the world,I will try after I eat.

K

Kale

Dor,
Tarp for the treated lumber you will use for the bed frame?
Why do you want to cover the treated lumber? Is it because it was treated and you don’t want it to seep into the soil? As far as newspaper, I would only recommend reading up on your specific local (?) papers. All the ones I have accesses to are made from soy (use soy for the ink) and it never really breaks down completely. (Not considered organic here)
Shredded will take even wayyyyyy longer.
May I suggest just using a landscape fabric that is sorta like plastic. I bought it to keep my pond area clear of growth. It works wonderfully and lets the ground breath somewhat, it has teeny holes and the water will drain eventually. I fear actually plastic will retain water.
And if you have holes grass may come up though the holes.(depends on the kind of grass you have. My neighbor (behind me) has grass that will (does) travel until it finds a place to light then grow.) You can also use unprinted cardboard. I know that will work.
How many beds are you planning? What size? Long, wide and high?
You may not need to remove the sod. If you really want to; just a shovel deep turn upside down.
Tires work fine. I tried 4different ways of a set up. Some had actual heavy plastic (bags mulch came in) overlapped, doubled and secured to keep the soil and water from running out, garbage bags inserted, with and without holes and one with just plastic where the tires met in the pile up. I had at first 2high then I went 3high when I was told I needed new tires by the SALESMAN. Keep in mind they will absorb the sun and keep plant and soil slightly hotter then your ground soil. Also they may hold the water in the insides of the actual tire. Make sure you fill the tire sides with soil that will not retain water, don’t want to mold your roots.
The black rubber will retain the heat!
Also back to the strip in the pic.I would give a few inches of breathing room for your fence. Not sure if you get Downpours or not but if you do, you sure don’t want to keep that fence retaining water.

Any questions or thoughts, I will keep track of this thread.
I am racing time and trying to work around weather, doing several projects ..But. I will be here.

Hope I helped you some!

OH, I posted the write up on Soy I found years ago, I did a few searches and can't find it here.If you need it I have it in a word doc.I can post it.

Blueaussi

As far as newspaper, I would only recommend reading up on your specific local (?) papers. All the ones I have accesses to are made from soy (use soy for the ink) and it never really breaks down completely. (Not considered organic here)

What's your objection to soy ink? Every site I've read, including Rodale's and the USDA say it's safe, and that it does break down. The sites I've seen that object to it aren't really credible in that they've not done any research, they're just doing lots of hand waving and fear mongering.

I use newspaper mulch all the time, and even the thick layers break down nicely over the season.

K

Kale

What's your objection to soy ink? Every site I've read, including Rodale's and the USDA say it's safe, and that it does break down. The sites I've seen that object to it aren't really credible in that they've not done any research, they're just doing lots of hand waving and fear mongering.

I use newspaper mulch all the time, and even the thick layers break down nicely over the season.

Don't mean to be confrontational just stating the "facts" as I truly understand and believe.

I can just say,watch the money trial.
And, not everything Rodale's and "USDA" state may be updated.
I personally enjoy Rodales "views" and recommendation on some things.
Have several books.
I discovered this first hand on my own without any talk, view or reading.
Just gardening with newspapers.
I then researched this for hours on end to see what the scoop was.

But...Never, will I ever agree with MI newspaper being placed in a garden as an organic way of gardening. I have also witnessed what Soy powdered protein does in a compost pile and the results it gives (not something I would recommend).
Here in Mi it does not break down. Besides it leaves the same end result as plastic and pesticides. Ingested, estrogen levels have risen greatly,(and it is not needed now a days in America) that is why children are developing and hitting puberty sooner then when we were children.
Anything I can get out of soy I can get elsewhere without the many side effects.
Acetone isn't something I would want to ingest.
What writings have you seen/read?
Was it the one I posted someplace?
Bottom line...You have to read a "study" that is not going to profit from their results.
Which will take a head dive of interest (on your part) to get to the bottom of it.
Perhaps you do not have soy ink. Or you just like newspapers.
That's O.K. It is your garden and produce.

Blueaussi

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm trying to learn. You have to ask questions to learn. I know how to read a peer reviewed scientific study, I review research protocols and papers as part of my job, so no worry about that. You said soy does not break down completely and is not considered organic in ( I thought) Michigan, but now I think maybe you meant in your garden? And then you spoke of researching and papers.

So, I'm still interested in the source of your information, I would like to read the paper or papers that you feel supplies more recent and accurate data than I got from Rodale's and the USDA. My mind is open, I would like to learn. I would like to know if soy ink in newspapers is harmful to the environment. You say it doesn't break down, so what part of the chemical composition of soy ink leaves a dangerous residue in the soil? Is it taken up by plants or does it wash into the water supply? I'm very interested in what information you have that proves soy ink is dangerous.

R

RiverRock

I am gleaning a lot from this thread! Right now i have 1 bed that is 10 long, 6 wide and 12 inches high..I love it the hight is perfect. I wanted to put a second bed in this year bt its jst not going to happen so maybe next year. I am planning to make a bed along the fence for my cucumbers and scalop squash...I am planning to trellis them on a latice work section my mom gave me. It will save a lot of space and keep the fruit off the ground good. This is the first time I am doing this so I hope it works like I think it will:D

In the bed I am putting green and yellow beans, sugar peas, beets, carrots, pepers, kholrobi, spinach, bok choy. On the other end of the yard I am making a bed agains the side of my garage and that is were my tomatoes will go.

I have a small 3x4 strawberry bed also.

The raise beds are made with 12" wood so I used thick metal stakes to hold it. I will get some pics soon.

RR

Dor

Dor,
Tarp for the treated lumber you will use for the bed frame?
Why do you want to cover the treated lumber? Is it because it was treated and you don’t want it to seep into the soil? As far as newspaper, I would only recommend reading up on your specific local (?) papers. All the ones I have accesses to are made from soy (use soy for the ink) and it never really breaks down completely. (Not considered organic here)
May I suggest just using a landscape fabric that is sorta like plastic. I bought it to keep my pond area clear of growth. It works wonderfully and lets the ground breath somewhat, it has teeny holes and the water will drain eventually. I fear actually plastic will retain water.
And if you have holes grass may come up though the holes.(depends on the kind of grass you have. My neighbor (behind me) has grass that will (does) travel until it finds a place to light then grow.) You can also use unprinted cardboard. I know that will work.
How many beds are you planning? What size? Long, wide and high?
You may not need to remove the sod. If you really want to; just a shovel deep turn upside down.
Tires work fine. I tried 4different ways of a set up. Some had actual heavy plastic (bags mulch came in) overlapped, doubled and secured to keep the soil and water from running out, garbage bags inserted, with and without holes and one with just plastic where the tires met in the pile up. I had at first 2high then I went 3high when I was told I needed new tires by the SALESMAN. Keep in mind they will absorb the sun and keep plant and soil slightly hotter then your ground soil. Also they may hold the water in the insides of the actual tire. Make sure you fill the tire sides with soil that will not retain water, don’t want to mold your roots.
The black rubber will retain the heat!
Also back to the strip in the pic.I would give a few inches of breathing room for your fence. Not sure if you get Downpours or not but if you do, you sure don’t want to keep that fence retaining water.

Any questions or thoughts, I will keep track of this thread.
I am racing time and trying to work around weather, doing several projects ..But. I will be here.

Hope I helped you some!

OH, I posted the write up on Soy I found years ago, I did a few searches and can't find it here.If you need it I have it in a word doc.I can post it.

I am not using a bed frame Kale. I aqm using 2X12X10 treated lumber. I bought 4 lengths and had them cut in had. I bought 3 1/2 inch galvanized screwed. I am going to put plastic around the sides because I didn't want to take any chances with any chemicals seeping into my veggies.

1 have 2 5X5 beds and am adding 2 more also the pic is of the beginnings of my lasagna bed along the fence on the east side of my yard. I have thick grass(St. Augustine) I can put down some landscape fabric. I have read up on it but I have started it a bit so I will just have to add gardening mix and plant.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, I will put the Newspaper down. Did you cut your tarp up Bernie? I have a garbage bag full and more to shredd. My yardman will dig that sod up I know. He is so good at what he does for me. I post post pics of my raised beds in progress. I am so very proud of what I am doing in my backyard. On the way home just now I saw lots of discarded tires. I think I will get some ot them and grow some plants in them.

Yes I did cut the tarps. I made it just a bit bigger then I needed so the soil would hold it in place on the bottom, just 2 or 3". I used screws and washers to hold the top against the wood and where I over lapped it. My wood is untreated I only did it so it won't rot.

I'll be interested to hear the rest of the soy discussion. When I add newspaper it is gone by the end of the season and I've never seen any residue. I shred my paper grocery bags (I forget my canvas bags far too often) even junk mail and my neighbor brings me her shredded paper. I toss it all in with my compost materials; just take out the plastic windows and any shiny print.

I tried tires a few years back but things didn't do well. I think it's because we get so very hot here. The soil didn't smell very good when I dumped them out so I suspect there was something going on there too. I also found them to heavy. Guess I'm getting old.

Dor

Yes I did cut the tarps. I made it just a bit bigger then I needed so the soil would hold it in place on the bottom, just 2 or 3". I used screws and washers to hold the top against the wood and where I over lapped it. My wood is untreated I only did it so it won't rot.

I'll be interested to hear the rest of the soy discussion. When I add newspaper it is gone by the end of the season and I've never seen any residue. I shred my paper grocery bags (I forget my canvas bags far too often) even junk mail and my neighbor brings me her shredded paper. I toss it all in with my compost materials; just take out the plastic windows and any shiny print.

I tried tires a few years back but things didn't do well. I think it's because we get so very hot here. The soil didn't smell very good when I dumped them out so I suspect there was something going on there too. I also found them to heavy. Guess I'm getting old.

I can't do a lot of lifting Bernie and if I try to lift something too heavy and it does not feel right I leave it alone. My left lower back is still pretty painfull but my knees are not too bad. It is over 100 here in Texas in July so I may have to regroup when it comes to the Tires. I remember my mama used to have some planters out of them.

I want to hear more on the soy too. I shred and will continue until I hear a reason not too. I take out anything I think is too shiny. I have asked my friends for their newspaper. Tuesday I am going for my Arthritis IV and will stop at Star Bucks and ask the manager for the old coffee grinds.

I went to HD three times last week and forgot to get the staples but I do have plenty of nails I can use to tack my tarp down. I never did find them at the $ stores so I just bought two at Harbor Frieght for $2.49 each.

My veggies got a good drenching today with the rain and the same tomorrow. I have some egg shells to add come the compost bend and some citrus and potato peels. I bought some organic fertilizer to use until I can get my compost going.

Bernie

Dor I don't know how things are where you are but coffee grounds go like hot cakes around here this time of year. I went by today and they didn't have any. Last year I kept going back day after day until the young man behind the counter finally told me to give him my name and he would save some for me. When I went back the next day Bless his heart he had at least 50# of it for me. I didn't even try to lift it. They usually put the grounds in the silver bags the beans come in but he had put them in a trash bag. We divided them in to smaller bags and he loaded them in my car. If you don't get any ask them to save some for you. We have three Starbucks with in three miles of my house. I don't drink their coffee but the kids who work at all three couldn't be sweeter too me.

K

Kale

Blueaussi, I didn’t think you were, I thought you thought I was. Ask away.
That is why we come here to ask and share!:)
Correct, all Michigan papers within my South East location do not break down.
Follow the money trail….Who did the study and what profit to them, was it? Every action has to have a motivation.
“Soy Dangers” information should be easily obtained with a quick easy simple search, not like years ago when it was a big hush…and hard to find…
I am certain you will, after much reading conclude what I have.
Let me know if you have a problem finding anything on soy dangers.After your online searches…
Happy reading.

RR, what color are the flowers of the scallop squash?
Is that a bush or vine??? How big does it get?

Dor,
I do not understand why you need wood and why not buy untreated wood?
You aren’t making a raised bed then please help me out here *LOL what are you doing?
What did I miss here?:confused::confused:

Kale :D

richnkim

My Beds

Hey everyone, I finally got some pictures of my gardens. I hope that I get the posted. I know they are not much but that is all I have room for right now and maybe next year they can be better. :)

Attachments

• Garden Box #1.jpg
    Garden Box #1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Garden Box #2.jpg
    Garden Box #2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Garden Box #3.jpg
    Garden Box #3.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 345

Dor

Blueaussi, I didn’t think you were, I thought you thought I was. Ask away.
That is why we come here to ask and share!:)
Correct, all Michigan papers within my South East location do not break down.
Follow the money trail….Who did the study and what profit to them, was it? Every action has to have a motivation.
“Soy Dangers” information should be easily obtained with a quick easy simple search, not like years ago when it was a big hush…and hard to find…
I am certain you will, after much reading conclude what I have.
Let me know if you have a problem finding anything on soy dangers.After your online searches…
Happy reading.

RR, what color are the flowers of the scallop squash?
Is that a bush or vine??? How big does it get?

Dor,
I do not understand why you need wood and why not buy untreated wood?
You aren’t making a raised bed then please help me out here *LOL what are you doing?
What did I miss here?:confused::confused:

Kale :D

Kale, I have to make raised beds because we have here in the south gumbo. The worst kind of stiff clay soil there is. Also I need the raised there because I suffer with Rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative disc disease, and bending is very hard on my body. I want to grow my veggies but my neck, back and knees hurt a lot. I looked up and down the isles at HD and I didn't see any untreated lumber. I askes a clerk if they had some and he explained the treated lumber didn't expose any risk but if I wanted to I could use the plastic on the sides. If I can find some reclaimed lumber eventually I will make some more raised beds. I am making raised beds. I have to make it as easy on myself as I can. My yardman does a lot of the heavey work for me but want to be as indepemdent as I can be. I am going to make these two raised beds before he comes on the 25th then he can remove the sod if he wants and fill them with a rich gardening mix and mulch for me.

I asked my girlfriend whose husband works for the railroad if he could get some railroad ties for me but was told they are not able to get them so that was not an alternative to buying lumber for the raised beds. I though about cinderblocks but they are $1.34 each and I needed too many and I am on SSD and couldn't afford that. We told have a place to buy reclaimed lumber here in the city so that is out. I built two raised beds last year and I am building two this year and a small lasagna bed along the east side of the house and next year maybe an area where I use to keep my dog. I am going to use a spray I found on Gardens alive first them landscape fabric then lasagna garden over the area.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com