Raised veggie beds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

What do you have growing there?:rolleyes:
Will they all fit until full harvest?
You were busy.Did you direct sow everything?
Very Nice:)

Dor

Hey everyone, I finally got some pictures of my gardens. I hope that I get the posted. I know they are not much but that is all I have room for right now and maybe next year they can be better. :)

Kim you have you have done a lot of work. They are fine and if they meet your needs what matters. Mine will look like yours, I just wish I could fine some reclaimed wood and not have to always buy it new.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor
Have you tired freecyccle to see if anyone has some wood for free? I use freecycle alot looking for things that I would like and have had good results

Dor

Kale I misunderstood. Yes I am making bed frames (making raised beds) I have to have them around here. I guess I had a duh moment. I am using a different name for them.

K

Kale

Kale I misunderstood. Yes I am making bed frames (making raised beds) I have to have them around here. I guess I had a duh moment. I am using a different name for them.
OK *LOL
I was really puzzled there for a moment*lol
Ok Raised beds are wonderful, had them for years,actually moving several to my driveway *lol
I use them and containers galore along with the land*lol
Here is a box I have had for years!
Raised beds from back came to the driveway*lol
Made new bed a little bigger then the 2 I took from the back.
Rosetime! I can even plant a larger bush of some kind with perennial Herbs and butterfly /hummer plants!They will use the whole yard that 15X approx 50 was used just for veggies,now... roses and anything else I can get in there !*LOL

Kale:)

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 328
  • driveraisedbed.jpg
    driveraisedbed.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 331
  • new rose raised09.jpg
    new rose raised09.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 322

richnkim

Kim you have you have done a lot of work. They are fine and if they meet your needs what matters. Mine will look like yours, I just wish I could fine some reclaimed wood and not have to always buy it new.

I does work for us. I know that I have one of the a little full but I am watching it and will take out some thing if I have to. I was looking at them yesterday and one of my peppers that I thought was not doing so great, now has a bloom on it! :D

Blueaussi

Follow the money trail….Who did the study and what profit to them, was it? Every action has to have a motivation.

What money trail? We're talking about composting newspapers, there is no profit motive in it for anyone. Newspapers are one of the most commonly accepted items for recycling, there is actually less profit for recyclers if gardeners use it for mulch.

“Soy Dangers” information should be easily obtained with a quick easy simple search, not like years ago when it was a big hush…and hard to find…

That brings up the dangers of eating excessive amounts of soy, not the risks of composting small amounts of soy ink, which is a very different product, in gardens. You might want to consider your own advice, too. How much of the research being done on the dangers of soy is being funded by the American Dairy Association?

I am certain you will, after much reading conclude what I have.
Let me know if you have a problem finding anything on soy dangers.After your online searches…
Happy reading.

I don't come to the same conclusion at all. I mean, come on, these folks are quoting the United Arab Emirates Airline inFlight Magazine as a reliable source!

I've run into this conspiracy theory about soy before, and have examined it before. Soy is, in my opinion, just like most anything else; fine used in moderation. I don't buy into either the "miracle food" or the "conspiracy of factory farm ceo's who have sold their souls to the devil" ends of the argument.

But, none of that has anything to do with using newspapers as mulch. I still haven't seen anything more recent than the info from Rodale's and the USDA, information that says it is safe to use newspaper as mulch.

K

Kale

Bluassi,
I do not deal in falsehoods and fallacies.
We weren’t talking about composting newspaper per se… we were talking about the processes in which it comes to being (the end product ) called Newspaper I’m guessing every City,Town and Village etc. in The USA has one that they can purchase.
If it is made with soy, I simply stated
“It does not completely break down when soy is used.”
We were also speaking of what it does when it starts to decompose.
Correct, nobody makes profit off of using soy for ink. They use it because they are patriotic and love giving to the needy and receiving nothing in return.
That’s just the kind of business people we have here in America, supply products that don’t bring a profit.
How they stay afloat I will never know. Can you tell me?

The ones that make it are the ones that recycle? Interesting concept.

Let’s see, I want to make a product that will be recycled to me from the people that bought it, and I will keep using the same product (newspapers in this analogy) over and over again year after year, using the money they gave me just because I love my customers.
Then…I will tell them to NOT send the product back to me and use it in their gardens so I will have less to recycle back into the business that I am making no profit from to begin with. I will even have (others USDA and others) encourage my consumers to use it in their gardens and compost plies so I will have even less to recycle back to the business for the public making no profit what soever.

This is what you are saying.

*Less profit for recyclers if used for mulch* correct…..
More than danger for eating excess you haven’t researched.
No. Not speaking of the ADA not concerned with what they have to say about soy, never read an article by them.
Consider my own advice? On what? I don’t use newspapers…
Research if you want. Just by your statement I know you have not researched. You may have read a few articles from the money trail but you have not researched. To come to an accurate conclusion you have to read many writings from both sides of the argument. And from those you have to find the money trail/ motivation and documented evidence that will not bring profit.
It could take up to weeks of reading to come to a conclusion as I did .
Although I am sure that you can find documentation on the DANGERS OF SOY AND INK a lot easier nowadays.. If the writers’ motivation is emotional; you have to weigh that.
As far as.
Quote “I mean, come on, these folks are quoting the United Arab Emirates Airline inFlight Magazine as a reliable source!” end quote.

Who was quoting from UAEAin Flight? What are you talking about? These folks?
If you are referring to this statement …

It came from me alone. My thoughts and opinion from my experience not from reading it Had I gotten it from a source other then myself I would have given it quote.

“Soy Dangers” information should be easily obtained with a quick easy simple search, not like years ago when it was a big hush…and hard to find”…
And it was indeed hard to find information and it was a hushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Been there lived it. My words not something I saw someplace and thought Id quote to sound informed. I do not do that ever. I guess you do not know me..yet.:D

Meanwhile back to raised beds!
I have made another like the larger one I posted.
Making one more on my driveway possibly for veggies*lol
I am rained out, time reorganize my study.

Kale:D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com