Ready for the county fair...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

IronKnees

Hi all, just a short note and some pictures of my canning entries for this years county fair... Got the jars out ready to use vinegar to polish them... I've always had great luck with these... On the general vegetables board I just posted the first of many pics of my veggie entries... Dave

From left to right they are; Venison, beets, relish, salsa, tomato juice, and down in front, venison jerky...

Attachments

• 100_4480cans1.jpg
    100_4480cans1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 100_4481cans2.jpg
    100_4481cans2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 394

IronKnees

Are the beets pickled? They look yummy as does everything else.

No, they are just processed whole according to canning directions... These are Detroit Dark Red beets which have a wonderful sweet taste... The only sweeter beet that I have ever grown is the Lutz beet which gets huge, about the size of a softball, but retains it's wonderful taste...

IronKnees

Hope you win alot of blue ribbons, could you share your recipe for Venison.

Exerpt from my website:

Following the directions that came with our pressure cooker, to hot pack venison, I do the following: Cut venison into bite size squares. Remove ALL fat, and as much tough membrane as possible. According to your canning directions, clean the desired number of pint or quart Ball canning jars. I usually do 4 to 5 quarts at one time. Add one teaspoon of salt to each jar, followed by a small amount of boiling water. (I prefer to dissolve the salt in this way before packing the meat.) Add your venison and top off with boiling water, leaving the correct amount of headspace. According to my books directions for beef, I process my venison (quarts) for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Having these jars on the shelf and at the ready is a great way to help fix a quick meal. Just open, heat and serve. Again, be sure to follow any specific directions that come with your pressure cooker. Also, you will find the directions in some canning books for how to "pre-cook" your meat prior to canning.

NOTE:
This took the blue ribbon at our county fair in 2002...
Second place in 2003...
First place and Sweepstakes in 2004...
First place in 2005.
First place in 2006.
First place nd Sweepstakes in 2007...
First place in 2008.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks yummy!!! Good luck. Keep us posted, inquiring minds want to know.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dave, your pictures yesterday got me to thinking about a main course for dinner. I don't have venison available, but meat chunks like that with potatoes and brown gravy sounds mighty tasty. I have made Swiss steak in the pressure cooker and the family really likes that, but I think I'll take it a step further.

lisa831

Thanks,look easy to make,will have to wait till Oct,to try it out. Best part it a blue ribbon winner
Randy will have to try out your recipe too.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mind sharing you jerky recipe Dave? Lots of luck at the fair, I'm sure with great looking canned foods like yours, you'll bring home the first place ribbons again.
I've never canned meats before..I'm afraid of pressure canners. I had a scary incident once that was probably my fault but haven't been able to get comfortable with a pressure pot since.

IronKnees

Sure, I cut the strips about an inch wide, perhaps four inches long, and as thin as I can. I marinate the meat in my "marinade" for a day or so then use my dehydrator to finish the jerky... I make my own marinade from catsup, a dash of soysauce, and salt to taste... There are MANY others available that you can buy... I'm not much on that smoke flavor, but what you use for marinade is usually a personal preference...

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL..I see, you are like hubby in that way,,,never share a great recipe,,, at least not All the ingredients! I'm always looking for the perfect marinade for jerky as I've never been satisfied with what I have.
RJ was a cook at one time and he says that if you give away your recipes...you are history! I am one who likes to share all I know so he won't open up to me about some recipes like his crab cakes or catfish stew and shrimp creole. Although..I have watched closely and I'm pretty sure I have those now.

IronKnees

LOL..I see, you are like hubby in that way,,,never share a great recipe,,, at least not All the ingredients! I'm always looking for the perfect marinade for jerky as I've never been satisfied with what I have.
RJ was a cook at one time and he says that if you give away your recipes...you are history! I am one who likes to share all I know so he won't open up to me about some recipes like his crab cakes or catfish stew and shrimp creole. Although..I have watched closely and I'm pretty sure I have those now.

Gloria, I did share everything... I never measure out anything, I just go by feel and how much I need... The catsup has lots of spices that blend nicely with the soy sauce, and salt... It comes out tasting wonderful, and is simple enough that even I can remember it and get it right... I've left nothing out at all... Am I allowed to share the link to my recipes page?

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yes Dave, we can share links to personal web pages. I think the only links we can't share are those for monetary profit.
Your marinade is so simple I was sure you were holding out!!! I'll give it a try next time we make jerky..thanks.

latebloomer

OOOOoooo, Crab Cakes????!!!!! Get the recipe,get the recipe!! Hold em down or shake it out of em.

Dave, wishing you continued luck at the fair. Your entries look beautiful.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com