Recipes For Art

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I think it would be a good idea for all of us to share some things to do with kids. School is going to be out soon, and they will need things to keep them busy!! Everyone post some ideas and recipes for things. :D:D:D:D

Dor,I found my book with all of the recipes in it for different clays and art projects for kids. The book is called "don't move the muffin tins" by Bev Bos. It has a lot of good projects in it for kids! :D
Here is one of the recipes:

Salt Dough Clay

2 cups salt
2/3 cup water
1 cup of cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water

Mix the salt and 2/3 cup water together in a saucepan; stir over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cornstarch and remaining water. Stir until smooth. This clay won't crumble.

This one is good to make beads. You just roll them into balls and poke a hole in them with a nail, or straw. Let air dry. Put them in the sun to help. Paint them and they can string them.

Another recipe for play dough:

1 cup flour
1 cup of water
2 Tblsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup salt
A few drops of food color

Mix the salt and flour together in a saucepan. Add food color to the water with the oil. Mix into the flour mixture; cook over medium heat until thick and almost dry, stirring constantly. May be doubled. Cool, and store in airtight container.

Here is one that the kids always liked:

Goop Paint

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1 cup salt
A few drops of food color

Combine all ingredients. Beat until smooth. (I divide into two portions before I add the food coloring and make two different colors.) Put the mixture in squeeze bottles and let the kids paint. When dry it will glisten because of the salt.

For another cool project. Collect things from a walk or a trip. ie the beach or mountains or park, or you can use marbles.

Scoop moistened sand into a tub, make an indention in the sand, it is neat to make their initials. Let the kids put some of the things in the sand molds, that they have collected. Mix Plaster of Paris together, and pour into the molds. Let dry, remove the sculpture and brush off the sand. The Plaster should be a milkshake consistency. You can color it with food coloring in the water before mixing, or let the kids paint them.

I have a lot of other ideas, and will post them later.

Kim folks with children and grandchildren should love to experiment with these recipes. Great fun activity with the kids.

Thanks for the recipes Kim and Randy. I am going to print them. I want to experiment with them this summer on making some stepping stones for my garden and for their yards.

OMGosh I almost forgot... when my kids were little one of their favorite things to do was
I would strip them down to their skivies, take a can of shave cream, spray the cream on the formica table and let the kids play with it they could build mountains spread it out and write in it, smear it all over themselves.
Then when they were done playing, outside they would go to be hosed off and cleaned up.

Cool, site Dawn. We used to let the kids do shaving cream painting at the pre-school. If you sprinkle a little powdered tempra on the shaving cream it makes really pretty swirls of color.

On a hot day, it is fun for kids to make their own homemade ice cream in a bag. Mix a little cream with sugar and vanilla in a small zip lock bag. Close it, makes sure it is closed. Put it in a large zip lock bag with some ice and rock salt. Let the kids shake it. It is fun and then they get to it eat.

We use to put cheese or cream cheese or peanut butter in celery then put raisins on it and call it bugs on a log.
Or tear the center out of a slice of bread butter it put it in a fry pan then drop an egg in the hole and cook it. My grandkids love this. Call it egg in a nest.
My kids loved it when I cooked their initials in a pancake. You use a baster filled with batter to put a "B" or whatever in the fry pan and let it cook for a minute then pour batter over it to make a pancake, when you flip the pancake the B will be darker.
I also did easy pictures like tree, bunny etc if I didn't make sense then maybe thie link will explain
http://chestofbooks.com/food/recipes/Cookbook-Boys-Girls/Pancakes.html

Last edited:
That is a fun thing to do, Dawn. My grandsons love gram to make pancakes for them. At Christmas time I make the kids peanut butter and jelly reinder sandwiches. One slice of bread, spread with peanut butter and jelly, cut it in half, triangle shaped. Put on raisins for eyes, and nose, a cherry makes it Rudolph, and pretzel antlers.

I saw a waffle maker years back that would make waffles the shape of the head of Mickey Mouse. I had to buy it because I wanted to make those for the grandkids. I wanted them to want to come to our house. LOL It worked, and I would make Micjey Mouse waffles for them when they would come. Maybe I should have kept it, but I did give the waffle maker to a little girl so her mom could make her Mickey Mouse waffles too. I still have three other waffle makers anyway.

Get a couple cigar boxe's let the kid's all have one.Give them a magazine let them decoupage it for their on treasure box.Or crayon's markers.

For a treat melt a bag of butterscotch morsel's mix one can chowmein noodle's and a jar of peanut's,Mix well let the kids dip them out onto wax paper.They are so good.

I am going to have my 2 oldest grandsons on saturday morning for a while then they are going to go back to their dads and come again on saturday evening and spend the night. I think I will make some of the caly and have them make some beads in the morning, and leave them to day in the sun, and maybe paint them that night. I am going to make some popsicles and have them ready for them.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back