Recipes for Dor (spaghetti sauce & stewed tomatoes)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gonepostal

Stewed tomatoes-----
All I did was chunk up the tomatoes, put them all in a pot, not quite cover them with water & bring them to a boil. I "stewed" them for 15-20 min. then put them into jars and processed them. I used the "boiling water bath " method and processed them for 35 min.(pint jars)--quart jars is 45 min.
NOW----the Ball Blue Book says if you add anything to the tomatoes--such as garlic, onion, green peppers, etc.---you should process them in a pressure canner----pints--15 min. quarts 20 min. at 10# pressure.;):D

Spaghetti sauce------
OK-here's where whatever you have or whatever you want in your sauce is up to you. This is basically what I put in my last recipe---
5-6# tomatoes ( I used 1/2 romas & 1/2 regular this time but you can used whatever you have. Last time it was cherry tomatoes & regular ones)
5-6 ex. lg. green peppers
5-6 lg. onions
3-4 rounded tablespoons minced garlic( I like garlic LOL)
I puree all this in my food processor and put in it a roaster in the oven at 350* or 400*--depending on how fast you want it to "cook". I find this way I dont have to baby sit the sauce so it wont burn on the bottom of my sauce pot. But-you can "cook " it any way you want.
Now---I added---
1 sm. can tomato paste
about 3 T. italian seasoning
some salt & pepper(not much salt for now)
1 can tomato juice ( or more tomatoes if you have them)
a couple handfuls of brown sugar(depending on how sweet you want it)
sometimes I add about 1c. (or more) of parmessan cheese too

Once it all cooked down I got a little over 4 quarts.
Then I precessed it for 45 min. in the boiling water bath.

As I said---my "recipes" are usually just what I have on hand
Sorry I was later getting this in here--had a detour! If you like your sauce chunky instead of pureed--then just dice up the veggies. ;)

Last edited:

Kya D

We used to eat stewed tomatoes but after they were canned when we opened the was when we added onion and garlic or what ever we wanted to add and boiled them in a sauce pan

Dor

Thanks very much postal. I have tomatoes that I put in the freezer that I want to make spaghetti sauce with. yummy

gonepostal

We used to eat stewed tomatoes but after they were canned when we opened the was when we added onion and garlic or what ever we wanted to add and boiled them in a sauce pan

Kya----yea that's what I was thinking---made it easier canning too!;) Otherwise I guess I would have to use the pressure canner.:( Hate using that!

gonepostal

Thanks very much postal. I have tomatoes that I put in the freezer that I want to make spaghetti sauce with. yummy

Your welcome Dor--just hope you can get something out of my hap-hazard recipe!:D
BTW---the can of tomato juice I ended up adding(sauce needed more "tomato") was a big can--32oz.

gonepostal

Your welcome Dor--just hope you can get something out of my hap-hazard recipe!:D
BTW---the can of tomato juice I ended up adding(sauce needed more "tomato") was a big can--32oz.

Another PS----when I puree the tomatoes I do skins & all. Once pureed & then cooked--you never know they're even there! And I do try to eliminate some of the seeds---but you never get them all!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com