recycled lard/grease

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Wolfie if you rope burn your horse then you always use bacon grease to heal the injury.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My old time neighbor wasted nothing and I mean nothing, I think she even used the squeal if you know what I mean. She called it Hog's Head Cheese and she would bring me this big hunk of it, at first it was ok cause my daddy raised me eating souse. So I though fresh homemade souse good. Well the first time I bit in to chunks of bone that was it for me. Then I started really looking at it and you could see veins and arteries and unidentifable stuff. Honey I ain't that hungry! LOL!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me either. I had it when I was younger and I had no idea what it was. Once I found out, it tatsed different. LOL

GardenBear1

Bacon grease I would never be with out it I use it on my bread pans, yes I still use old heavy metal pans for my bread, when it comes out of the oven I rub it with bacon grease it puts a shine on it and keeps it from drying out, egs cooked in bacon grease is on my list of favorite food I grew up on lots of bacon grease and I'm still around

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taste-wise I have to concur. That's what I grew up with too, but I have to be much more careful about what goes into my body now. I love sausage gravy and sourdough biscuits too, but I limit that to twice a year and even though I planned for it, it didn't materialize last year. I will get to have that at least once this year though.

Tracey

It is so hard anymore to believe what you are told about anything. QUOTE]

Amen.. I use lard or grease only on the very rare occassion however, I will NOT live without BACON.. I'm like the dog on the Beggin' Strips commercial. lol. You have a valid point, It seems there is something negative to be said no matter what you are eating. Example: Sugar vs Aspartame vs Splenda.. I have come to believe if I were to eat a serving of spinach and broccoli with each meal, someone, somewhere would find a reason to tell me why these very healthy, nutritious veggies were going to harm me. Then tomorrow it would be on 60 minutes or the National News.

jmho

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com