Reopening at San Antonio Botanical Garden, part 2

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

May 21, 2020
30_Yucca_rostrata_in_bloom-1.jpg

A wildflower meadow studded with Yucca rostrata in bloom — yes, please! Let’s continue with last week’s visit to San Antonio Botanic Garden and this path into the cactus and succulent garden.

31_Yucca_rostrata_in_bloom-1.jpg

More flowering yuccas!

32_Yucca_rostrata_in_bloom_Palms-1.jpg

And more, with shiny-leaved palm trees and a blue, blue sky.

33_Yucca_rostrata_Palms_Argentine_saguaro-1.jpg

And a space-age-looking glasshouse and columnar cacti.

34_Prickly_pear-1.jpg

Check out this inclined ramp of prickly pear, beringed with orange flower buds — love!

35_Tall_cactus_Glasshouse-1.jpg

I don’t know what kind of cactus this is, but I like its shadowy, segmented form against the bright background of glasshouse, palms, and yuccas.

36_Desert_garden-1.jpg

Even cacti appreciate filtered shade in a Texas summer.

37_Agave_Wildflowers-1.jpg

Agave in a fading verge of wildflowers

38_Prickly_pear_Yuccas-1.jpg

Yucca rostrata in bloom with prickly pear and giant hesperaloe

39_Salvia_path-1.jpg

Bees were thrumming in this violet salvia border.

40_Stone_wall_arbor-1.jpg

An arbor-shaded path

41_Giant_Adirondack-1.jpg

Overlooking a grassy amphitheater, we discovered gigantic, cherry-red Adirondacks. Naturally we had to try them out.

43_Cypress_pond_fountain-1.jpg

Along the Texas Native Trail at the rear of the garden, we took the middle path around a large pond ringed by bald cypresses and sycamores.

44_Pond_fountain-1.jpg

A spraying fountain disturbed the illusion of naturalness.

45_Fountain_Willow-1.jpg

Heading back to the main gardens, we stopped to enjoy the dappled shade of a willow overhanging a columnar fountain. I ignored the rose garden ghetto just beyond, having never learned to appreciate a traditional rose display. My teenage companion, however, was scandalized by my rose dis.

46_Lilies_under_tree-1.jpg

Apricot lilies matted by a dark-green hedge merit a photo, though!

47_Lilies-1.jpg

Lovely

48_Phormiums-1.jpg

In the Old-Fashioned Garden, much of it is just getting going, replanted perhaps for summer. Are the dark-leaved plants giant crinum lilies?

49_Larkspur-1.jpg

Purple larkspur leans into the broad, glossy leaves of the mystery plant/crinum.

50_Great_lawn_Wisteria_arch-1.jpg

This great lawn is new since I was last here, offering a green event space where once was a Spanish-style channel fountain. Purple heart encircles the shade trees.

54_Path_to_building-1.jpg

A light-filled building, the Betty Kelso event center, is also new.

51_Japanese_Garden_statue-1.jpg

Nearby, the entrance to the Japanese garden is marked by a statue of a kimono-wearing woman.

52_Japanese_Garden_bridge_hills-1.jpg

“A gift to San Antonio in 1989 by its sister city, Kumamoto, the Kumamoto En (En means garden in Japanese) is an authentic Japanese Garden designed by landscape artists and craftsmen from Japan. In exchange, San Antonio gave Kumamoto a log cabin from the Hill Country town of Fredericksburg.”

I love the notion that there’s a Texas log cabin somewhere in Kumamoto, Japan.

53_Ducks_Rocks-1.jpg

The garden’s pond “symbolizes the Pacific Ocean that separates the East and West,” according to the website. Ducks groom themselves amid round boulders anchoring the pond’s edge.

55_Heron_sculpture_Shade_garden-1.jpg

The Sensory Garden is elevated in raised beds, perhaps for ease of smelling and touching plants. This garden has always seemed a little out of place to me.

56_Castle_sculpture-1.jpg

A quirky, clay-sculpture castle adorns one end of the garden.

57_Succulent_stone_wall.jpg

Moving on, a stone retaining wall has been transformed into a vertical display of succulents.

58_Succulent_stone_wall-1.jpg

Tucked into crevices, succulents brighten the wall with ruffled leaves and pastel colors.

59_Sunken_fountain_Stone_wall_arch_Glasshouse-1.jpg

SABG is always a fun destination for day-tripping from Austin. I’m glad to have had the opportunity to do so again thanks to their new reservation system and restricted entry, open to members and non-members alike.

For a look back at Part 1 of my visit to San Antonio Botanical Garden, click here.

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Donate to the Tom Spencer Million Trees for Austin Fund, established by TreeFolks in March 2020 to honor Tom Spencer, a tireless environmental advocate and longtime host of Central Texas Gardener. Tom’s bold vision of planting another million trees in the Austin community inspired TreeFolks to pursue this goal, and they invite others to join the campaign. In Tom’s own words, “Plant trees, plant hope.” For information about making an annual gift, stock donation, or charter contribution, please call Andrew W. Smiley, TreeFolks Executive Director at 512-413-7774, or visit their website for additional information.

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post Reopening at San Antonio Botanical Garden, part 2 appeared first on Digging.

xHeLkyJi5Ic

Continue reading...

ashapOman

SeriousSam said:
Great, I’ve always wanted to visit your botanical garden. I love to admire nature and that’s why I always like to go to beautiful places and admire them. I recently downloaded a couple of photos of your garden from this site https://proxy-rarbg.org/, and put one on the screen of your phone. I hope someday I can visit your botanical garden and visit Niagara Falls.
I definitely should it visit too

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com