Repelling Squirrels?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Phlytrap

Little bastage got my two ripest strawberries.

http://i42.tinypic.com/e5r8yv.jpg | http://i42.tinypic.com/23m3d3d.jpg

I went ahead and removed these two. I consumed what was left, which was very sweet and tasty! It's a shame that the squirrel got em. What was not touched has been covered with cayenne pepper and sprayed down with a little bit of water. Anyone have any suggestions? I wanna try everything non-lethal before I decide to go lethal on this guy... ha!

PRH

Ohhhhhhhhh ,how I feel your pain and anger! I deal with these little critters myself and Nothing I do seems to outsmart them!! ( does make ya loose some religion at times ) :eek: * I'm open for suggestions right along with ya here!! ( chippie's are a pest too )

Last edited:

Phlytrap

im thinking of a thin very strong pole that sticks up in the air several feet with a wide top, something that would be difficult for him to climb up and if he got up it, he wouldn't be able to get around the base of the tray... hmm.

I'm thinking maybe a .22? 410? lol... pellet projectile?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
The squirrels don't bother my garden, but the moles and gophers do. I nabbed a mole in one of my traps yesterday, but I didn't check the traps today.

Blueaussi

I don't know how a pole would keep him out of your strawberries, but my mother put a slinky over a shepherd's crook to discourage them from getting into a bird feeder. They eventually figured out how to get past the slinky, but it was pretty hilarious watching until they did.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure it's squirrels?
Birds love strawberries and the damage to your fruit look just like bird damage!
A floating net cover works to keep the beggers out! You can get the netcover at Lowes or Home Depot!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one of those, Sailor. I haven't taken it outside for awhile though. I don't shoot at the animals here unless it is a skunk.

Phlytrap

Yeah I just went out to check on everything and now my THIRD ripest strawberry has been halfway consumed... GRRRRRR.... I'm full of anger now... The red pepper obviously didn't work.

So I put a laundry basket over the strawberries until I can make my way to lowes... This is irritating! They're not going to do this to my tomatoes are they?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our chickens get into the tomatoes that are low enough, but there are plenty of tomatoes left for us anyway.

GardenBear1

here the kind of squirrels I had around my place or they think there super until a little fat 12lb chihuahua ran them off :D

supersrurrier.jpg

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com