Requesting Blueberry Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's going to be blueberry season soon. Let's post our TNT (Tried and True) blueberry recipes.

richnkim

I got this recipe from watching "Paula Deen". It is good. It uses blueberries but I was thinking that it would be good with blackberries.

Blueberry Coffee Cake

1 can of Grands biscuits, quartered
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cube melted butter, or margarine
1 1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup oatmeal

Mix the brownsugar and cinnamon together. Roll the biscuits in the melted butter, and then roll them in the brown sugar mixture. Put the biscuits into an 8x8 baking dish, coated with non-stick cooking spray. Toss the blueberries with the granulated sugar. Spoon half of the blueberries on thop of the biscuits, sprinkle 1/4 cup of the oatmeal on top of the berries, then the rest of the berries and the reast of the oatmeal. Pour any remaining melted butter on top. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes.

I use frozen blueberries. It is very sweet and good with a little vanilla ice cream.

I had posted this one in another thread but I copied it to here.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
My blackberries are a couple of weeks away from being ripe. I interchange blueberries, raspberries and blackberries all the time. Our neighbor has an acre of blueberries (500 or more huge bushes) that I get to pick all I want. So I love lots of blueberry recipes.

richnkim

Dale, I found another one that I think would be good. It is in my "Diabetic-Living magazine.

Berry-Topped Cheesecake

1 1/2 cups small pretzel twists (2oz.; about 33)
2 Tblsp. sliced almonds, toasted
3 Tblsp. butter, melted
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 tubs (8oz.) light cream cheese, softened
1 carton (8oz.) light sour cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 of an 8 oz. container frozen light whipped topping, thawed
1 cup quartered or halved fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries or blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For crust: In a food processor, process the prtzels and almonds until finely crushed. Add butter; cover and process until combined. Press mixture into the bottom of an 8 or 9 - inch springform pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. For Filling: Place 1/3 cup water in a small sauce pan; sprinkle with gelatin (do not stir). Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatine dissolves; set aside to cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, and almond extract; beat with an electric mixer un til smooth. Add gelatin mixture; beat until combined. Fold in whipped topping. Spread half over the cooled crust, top with half of the berries. Spread the remaining cream cheese mixture over the berries. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours or until set. Serve with the remaining berries.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
That one looks really really good and pretty healthy looking. Thanks for sharing.

richnkim

They also have some good ones for Lemon-Blueberry Bread and Ice Cream. All you have to do is type in the search what you want. Did you find the one for the bread pudding, Gloria? It has a sauce to go with the pudding that sound wonderful.

Jules

I love blueberries too.....and there are so many different ways to prepare them...here is one of my tried and true recipes....

BLUEBERRY BONANZA

CRUST
3 cups digestive biscuit crumbs ( I actually use a oreo crumb base sometimes)
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup melted butter

Mix together – pat lightly into 9 x 13 pan
Bake @ 325F for 10 minutes - Cool

CHEEESE LAYER
8 oz package cream cheese – softened
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix ingredients – spread over crust.
Bake @ 325F for 20 minutes

BLUEBERRY LAYER
3 cups frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 teaspoon cornstarch
½ cup cold water

Cook blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
Dissolve cornstarch in the cold water, then add to blueberry mixture, stir until thickened.
Pour over baked cheese layer. Cool completely.

TOPPING
2 cups cool whip
3 cookies crushed

Cover with cool whip – sprinkle crumbs over top.
Place in a refrigerator until serving.
Serves 10 – 12 people

Jules

...and another one.....

Blueberry Crumble
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter or oleo
Blueberries

Crumb ingredients together and place one half in a 8 x 8 pan, pressing down firmly. Cover with blueberries. Cover berries with rest of crumb mixture. Press down firmly. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cool. Cut in squares. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or plain.

Cherries, apples, rhubarb or other fruits can be used in place of blueberries. I have made this with blackberries and it is really good.

Jules

..and always one of the old time favs.....

BLUEBERRY GRUNT

This dessert is served in the summer time in the midst of the bludberry season – you eat it until you grunt!

1 quart blueberries
½ cup sugar (or to taste)
½ cup water

Boil berries, water and sugar in a large saucepan, covered, until thre is plenty of juice

Sift together:

2 cups flour
4 tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Cut in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon shortening. Add enough milk to make a soft biscuit dough. Drop by tablespoons onto the hot blueberry sauce.

Cover closely and cook for 15 minutes without peeking.
Serve from saucepan – cream may be added.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jules those are great looking recipes. What is digestive biscuit crumbs? Inquiring minds want to know----

Jade

I will have to dig out my blueberry cake recipe that I have had since I was 9. Hmm, wonder where that one got to?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com