Return of the word games - ABC Plant Game

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
S Sunflowers I had regular sunflowers in my garden but I only planted 5 seeds and they all germinated. But one thing or another has done all but one of them in. On the other hand I have Mexican sunflowers in my garden that are still doing quite well. Of course they do not bloom until fall but they are getting big already.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
T- Tradescantia......never had a problem growing these one day bloomers! I have a semi dwarf blue one that is well behaved and the clump doesn't get out of control! I fits in well with semi-dwarf daylilies......... Reseeding is an issue! I deadhead them as the flower clusters finish blooming....if left to their own devices they will spread everywhere!!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
V -Veronica 'Gentian Speedwell' ...my favorite! Forgot to bring one from the lake property when I moved....hard to find....best started from seed if you can find a source! Light powder blue in early summer over several weeks! Well behaved member of the speedwells!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y -Yucca.....great accent specimen....if you have the room! Lovely and bold when in bloom! Mine did wonderful at the lake property! No room for one here!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A- Agapanthus (Blue Lily of the Nile)....Have one in a large pot I bring in and winter in a unheated room in a bright window and rarely water it....Spends the warm months outdoors in a sunny spot....it is a greedy feeder so fertilize it several times during the warm/hot months....usually blooms in Aug/September!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
B- Blue bonnets these are the Texas state flower. Down here we plant mostly by just scattering seeds on the soil in the fall. They will germinate and not grow much till spring and then they are so pretty here. They are so pretty along side of the road ways in the spring.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
C- Chelone....Turtle-heads....so easy to grow, clump former, mostly well behaved, looks good even without the blooms...make sure you deadhead them once the flower spikes finish blooming. Love the pink one called Rose grows 2' high when in bloom. There is a white version with fewer flowers per spike...grows 3' high and 18"s wide...good for the back of the border!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
E -Echinocereus reichenbachii var. baileyi finally bloomed this year after a 5 year wait!!! It was sure worth the wait!

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 376

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
L- Lantana....hummers love my potted ones on the balcony...

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 346

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com