Rhododendrons

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

DoorsFan

Hey all, I have a question about Rhododendrons. We have some Rhododendrons that only have leaves on the very tips of long branches. How aggressively can we prune them back to make them fuller? After pruning, how quickly will they grow in? Thanks!!!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
hi Door...we purn ours in the fall..also dead heading helps to fill in...I have,,,on a few of the really huge old plants I was very aggressive with the pruning last year and they fille din wonderfully this year..

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Prune them after the have stopped blooming as they set their flowers for the next yr so you need to prune them right after they are done blooming so you don't cut off next yrs buds
i have pruned mine right back and they come back the next yr, mine seem to grow pretty fast

DoorsFan

Thank you all for the info. We moved onto a property that was maintained much before we got here so we have a lot of work cut out for us.

Botann

I grow a lot of Rhododendrons. Usually the cause of leaves just on the tips of the branches is a lack of light. Either limb up the adjacent trees trees or move the rhododendron to a site with more sun. They move easily.
Mike

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com