Rindsroulade (Beef Rolls)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

oma2

Rindsroulade

Thin cut round steak (milanese cut)
Sliced onions cut in wedges
Dill pickle cut in slices the long way
raw bacon
salt and pepper to taste
toothpicks
Flour to roll meat in before browning in hot oil

Salt and pepper meat on side being rolled up
Piece of bacon, onion wedge slices, dill pickle slice
Roll like a jelly roll from bottom up
Secure with toothpick to fasten
Roll in flour to coat
Heat fat/ oil in pan and brown roulade well on all sides

In pressure cooker cook about 20 minutes. I add beef stock enough to cover rouladen and a little bit of V-8 for color.
In pan where you browned the rouladen add Tbsp flour and stir well. Add remainder of onion until glassy. Add boiling water and slowly stir well with fork to dissolve crust on bottom of pan and to prevent lumps. Cover pan. Simmer slowly for 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serving size: 1 roulade per person

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That looks like it should be in a cookbook I bought last year, Oma. It is titled "Was Gibts Zum Essen". I have done a few of the recipes in the book, even some my wife has never tasted. I was talking with a German fellow at the nursing home last week though and he told me I should make wienerschnitzel. I have never had it as far as I know, but I an willing to try it. I did make some sauerbraten and I thought that was pretty good.

oma2

Your cookbook sounds great Randy. I just love german food. That was all mom would cook for us. Weinerschnitzel is a thinly breaded milanese cut pork steak that is fried or baked. It can be served with fried potatoes, sweet and sour red cabbage and green beans.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That does sound really good. I bought that cookbook a bit over a year ago with the purpose of assisting my wife in carrying on some of the tradition of her family. I am actually a more adventuresome cook than she is, so I figure I can introduce the family to some things that she does not ordinarily prepare. The cookbook was a fundraiser and all the recipes were submitted by German people, I believe. There are some recipes in there though that are not German, but that doesn't matter. I think it is probably time that I try a new one (recipe) so I'll have to get in the book and see what the offerings are again.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is written in English. I will be happy to supply you with ordering information, if you like. I am also sure they will have them available when the "Donauschwaben" have their annual meeting south of us also.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edda, there is ordering information in the back of the book. I will make a copy of the page and send it to you. But I will need you to PM you mailing information to me.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I got it and also asked another question. But I would probably send you that DVD even if you didn't ask for it. One of my wife's cousins made a video of her Aunt Catherine making 'pulled strudel' and I have made DVD's of that session. Aunt Catherine does a lot of cooking for the German club (The Liederkranz) in Mansfield, Ohio.

oma2

Wow that would ne wonderful. I just love strufdel and have always wanted to make some yet didn't know what it entailed. So your wife is German too?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
She is 100% German. I only have a smattering of German in my ancestry. You will appreciate the DVD then as it is made for teaching. Too many skills die with the Oma's and this is one way to keep them alive.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com