Rooting Pineapple Tops

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

That is what I did then after it dried a couple of days I just stuck it in a pot with dirt and it is growing. Now if I don't kill it maybe I will have a pineapple. by the way I made sure it was one from Costa Rica. Good luck

This weekend stick it in a pot and give it a drink. You are on your way. I hope it does well for you.

Sorry it died but it's problaly not your fault. If the eye is damaged it will die. The trouble is you can't always tell if it's been damaged down inside. People get the crazy idea that if you pull the center leaves you can tell if it's sweet so they get damaged that way. Or they get crushed when they are packed or even picked.

you are sure having my normal bad luck on this. i'm sorry. i feel really lucky that it is growing.

My niece and i put a pineapple top in dirt and we let dried about two days and now its putting on some leaves in the center ,ive tried it before in water it didnt do anythign but go bad,so hopefully it will grow now.

Planted a couple of these pineapple tops last weekend. ( 1 for me and 1 for Cris ) We will see what takes place with them! < at least I can now say that I gave it a try after all these years > :p

Don't give up on them! I have had a couple I thought were goners and not only did they make it but i was able to sell them at my plant sale!!!!:D

I love the pineapple I have started. We have it on the deck right now. He is growing well. I can't wait to get my own pineapple off of him. you all inspired me to do this.

I have one that is doing well too but too cold for me to put it outside
I have 2 more in water, will see what they do.
I also planted one in my compost pile the other day, will see if that does anything

Well,the pineapple tops I had started died and I swore that I would never/ever start something like that again in my lifetime! ( life can be funny sometimes ) I bought a pineapple and guess what??? ( yea,I'm starting over again ) I have it drying out currently and I think after I get back from my cousin's funeral,I will place it in some water and get a root system going on the stalk. ( since it's almost Spring,plants just seem to do alittle better ) <--- trying to think positive there too! :D
Several people think that I'm rather crazy for doing this again and I won't say that I'm crazy,but I have a hard time with coming to terms about me doing this again - my answer is :" Life can be funny sometimes!" )
Oh,well..... we will see what happens again!! :p * I've also heard that if you put them outside in the Spring and Summer months,they do better too! * - just alittle tip -

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back