Rose Hips

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

I have two Rugosa one red and one white, the have lots of hips on them all summer, when would be the best time to pick them for the seeds, I would like to see if I can't grow them from seed, I've had no luck starting them from cuttings, I want to do a hedge along the drive way so I don't have to look at the neighbor yard its all ways a mess, at least it will hide some of the mess and look good when blooming

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Morning to you...Although I use my rose hips for tea...my granny use to say to get seeds you need to allow the hips to stay on the bush at least four months...and the second bloom is the best

Spider_Lily

Morning to you...Although I use my rose hips for tea...my granny use to say to get seeds you need to allow the hips to stay on the bush at least four months...and the second bloom is the best

Rose hip tea ?What is this?I clip them off and throw in trash.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Rose hip tea ?What is this?I clip them off and throw in trash.

:eek: They are a great source of vitamin C...takes about 5 hips per cup of tea...( you can use them whole or crushed...)allow to steep for about 10 mins...I use pepperment with it....hubby likes them with crushed ginger

myfedora

Wow thank you Kale. I learned a lot. I get rose hips on my blaze climber. I used to cut them off in the fall and just throw them in the mulch. May just maybe that is why I have baby rose bushes coming up around my arbor.

K

Kale

Goody! Glad to be of service...:)
Now you know!:D:D
I'm certain there is much to be read about the hips.

I have a few red roses..(Unidentified) I had Climbing Blaze, Toro (Uncle Joe) and Don Juan. Moved all 3 I also adopted 2 reds last year, (was told they were reds, didn't bloom last year ) I thought I could save them and ....:D:D
To shorten the story....Is either of these 2 shots Climbing blaze?
And do you or anyone know who that bug is!??

I luv bugz
bugz luv me
bugs and me will always agree...*LOL
tired, can you tell...? *LOL

I think the 1st one is cl blaze ..is it?

Kale:)

Attachments

• clibblaze who09.jpg
    clibblaze who09.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 396
  • roseclimblas who09..jpg
    roseclimblas who09..jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 404

GardenBear1

Kale, the first pic looks like my all a Blaze cl, the other may be red blaze cl. this my red blaze year before I cut it back its really darker than the pic shows, its not blooming this year so far

RoseGarden.jpg

myfedora

Kale that kinda looks like climbing blaze but mine looks fuller than that. I don't know what that bug is but I have seen them eating on my roses.

deck chucker

I talked to a friend in Sweden and he said his dad makes soup and uses them. I was investigating them when I saw that the arthritic dog medication Rimadyl was so similar in name. I picked a bunch off my wild roses in my backyard, but couldn't find any ideas on how to use them. Now I see Wikipedia says they can be powdered for use.

K

Kale

Kale, the first pic looks like my all a Blaze cl, the other may be red blaze cl. this my red blaze year before I cut it back its really darker than the pic shows, its not blooming this year so far

RoseGarden.jpg
Are you behind me in blooms?

They bloomed a while ago waiting for another flush guess what??
I think both pics are the same plant*LOL
I will investigate more tomorrow.
I will start with one at a time.I will know Donny boy when he blooms*LOL
I just have the 3 in front from the lady,and one that bloomed already in the back the other is in a pot and I lost one *lol
I love that one that I think is Climb blaze hummm I will check my records..I though it had a 3rd word in the name.. I bet the word is red but..those pics are the gift ones..Ok let me get off this chair it is giving me needles across my shoulders.

I will be back :D:D:D
Oh it looks fuller before the opening*lol
Also Do NOT KILLTHAT BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!! *ROF! *lol

Night night!

K

Kale

Headed out catch up with you all later..
GardenBear, have you a close up?

Do you get flushes and do you get clusters?

Flushes more then one bloom of many
clusters more then one per stem.

I had both. well one display so far, it is working on the next one*lol
Boy...oh boy... do I miss being here*:D
but have much to do and little time to do it...

K

Kale

Howdy!
I haven't been here either very busy..
Missed all truly!
Thanks for the info

deck chucker

Do you get flushes and do you get clusters?

Flushes more then one bloom of many
clusters more then one per stem.

I had both. well one display so far, it is working on the next one*lol

Me, too! Menopause is h*ll! Flushes and twice as many headaches! :D I've never had so much rosy cheekness my whole life.

Somebody water me? (turns on fan and wraps up in blanket)

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me, too! Menopause is h*ll! Flushes and twice as many headaches! :D I've never had so much rosy cheekness my whole life.

Somebody water me? (turns on fan and wraps up in blanket)
How true!!!

Same here, I want them to go away. It's been over 7 yrs and they seem to be getting worse and not slowing down.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com