Rose Hip's

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

I went out this afternoon after the rain.Looking through all the rose's.Came across several rose hip's.One was dried I broke it open.It had eight seed in it.My question will they sprout if I sow them.And what would they turn out to be ?Never thought about rose seed.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went out this afternoon after the rain.Looking through all the rose's.Came across several rose hip's.One was dried I broke it open.It had eight seed in it.My question will they sprout if I sow them.And what would they turn out to be ?Never thought about rose seed.

You can sow them now, or wait til Fall. They will sprout next spring!
You will more then likely be disappointed with the offspring because they wont look very much like the parent! It usually takes 2, or more, years before you find out what the flowers will look like!
You would be better to root cuttings, so you will know exactly what the flowers will look like!

Spider_Lily

You can sow them now, or wait til Fall. They will sprout next spring!
You will more then likely be disappointed with the offspring because they wont look very much like the parent! It usually takes 2, or more, years before you find out what the flowers will look like!
You would be better to root cuttings, so you will know exactly what the flowers will look like!

That's what I usually do Ron.I took cutting's of the yellow knockout yesterday and several antique cutting's.Just never gave thought to the seed.I'll stick to cutting's.:)

sunflower3

'd like to try and root some cuttings, is it to later to do it? and how do I go about it? want to start some of my Graham Thomas: David Austin yellow roses.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
'd like to try and root some cuttings, is it to later to do it? and how do I go about it? want to start some of my Graham Thomas: David Austin yellow roses.

Things you will need: peat moss and compost, and large glass mason jars

You wil need a spot in the garden that gets some morning sun and shade from the afternoon, and evening sun!
Ammend the soil in the area you will be using for your cuttings nursery!

Take cutting about 6" to 8"!
Trim the ends so there is at least 2 leaf nodes and 2 leaves above.
Remove the 2 leaves on the bottom end.
Insert into the soil so the 2 bottom nodes are below the soil surface.
Place jars over cuttings.
Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet.
Then wait to see what happens!
Rooting can occure in a couple of weeks, but leave the jars over the cutting until next spring! If there is a lot of new growth you can trim it back and replace the jar.
Once you see new spring growth you will know that they are doing great, and you can remove the jars.
Give them a month, or so, to see if they continue growing, if so you can move them to a permanent spot in the garden!

Have fun!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com