Rust stains in fabric

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I posted a question about how to get rust stains out of fabric in another thread but thought I would post it here. Does anyone know what I can do to get them out of white fabric with embordiery on it? I don't want to harm the embrodiery. :confused:

Jade

Peroxide is good for blood stains too. I fell over a cat on the steps one night when I was too dense to turn the light on and cracked my head pretty good. The peroxide worked wonders on the blood.

latebloomer

Kim, did you try lemon juice and then laying it flat in direct sun? It may take a number of applications.

Wombat

Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems like in the recesses of my mind, I remember Mama using lemon juice and salt.

richnkim

I have tried several things. I think that it is a loss. My mom must have had the hoop on it for a long time and then taken it off. No telling how long it has been sitting. There was only the one block so it isn't a total loss.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is something called "Iron Out" that is made to remove rust and lime stains from clothing ...I'd forgotten about that!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also you can try CLR or The Works the green bottle or the blue for toilets it is an acid that won't harm fabirc just don't leave it on a long time.

Bernie

Kim since the stain isn't coming out and you say it's just one block could you try matching the fabric with some floss and just cross stitching over it? I’m afraid if you keep trying different chemicals you will damage it. I'll bet you could hide it and no one would notice unless they got up close to it. Good luck.

richnkim

I talked to my sister and she has some of the original stamps that my mom used. There was some fabric in the bag with the blocks that my mom used to make them and I am going to make a new one to match. It wont be all of great-grandmas work but most of it! I am still going to work on it though!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com