sago palm

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

clevis09

i need some help...... i bought 2 sago palms about 2 months ago and they are about 3ft tall and was really pretty and green. i repotted the sagos in a bigger pot, now the leaves are turning yellow and there is not much green in them at all,,,, whats wrong? i dont wanna lose them i paid way to much.... i can get some pics if anyone would like to see them before and now... please help me

and the leaves are laying down more and u can really see the crown if that helps any.....

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ommm!
Sago palms like tight roots!
That means, you should not have repotted them into larger pots!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Clevis,
Welcome!My sagos are planted in the ground in sand. They are much like any other palm in that they like dry feet, with well drained soil but they like water too. Magneisum is often lacking when they turn yellow. There is a new virus called "leathel yellowing" it starts from the crown and works it's way down. If you can post a picture of the yellowing it might help. Unfortunately as the name implies "leathal yellowing" is fatal :(

PRH

Sago Palms can be alittle bit of a worry whenever you see anything going wrong with them! I have 1 that I bought several years ago and when I began to see the fonds turn tan/brown and loose there life - I almost cried! ( now being a guy here,that's why I typed almost ) The fonds died completely shortly afterwards and nothing I did made them comeback on the plant for quite sometime! ( darn right,I was rather down ) I replanted the Sago Palm and put it outside on my back deck during the summer months and 1 day as I was watering some plants, I notice that there was some life going on in the Sago Palm and the fonds returned better then ever. My neighbor gave me alittle baby off of his recently and its as if my big one has made alittle friend. Both are healthy and going strong ,but through it all - remember that Sago Palms are very slow growing plants at times and having alittle patience can always be a plus within the mix as well! Good Luck and follow the advice of others here to help give ya that smile back on your face again - watering is important and the root system is too ( all plants should be growing a good root system anyways,but things happen sometimes and should be looked into just for extra measure ) - Hope this helped alittle,I did my best! -

PRH

Sometime has past now 4 sure since you last posted about your Sago Palms Clevis09. How are things coming along for ya with them? ( please say you did not give up ) U will have kicked yourself if you did! ( hope your still with us on here too,btw )

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com