San Antonio Botanical Garden reopening, part 1

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

May 19, 2020
07_Red_garden_Sedge-1.jpg

After a month and a half self-isolating at home, I was craving a garden visit when I got the news that both the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and San Antonio Botanical Garden were opening back up at limited capacity. I immediately went online and secured tickets for the Wildflower Center (click for my recent visit) and SABG, which is honoring reciprocal memberships with other botanical gardens, so I got in for free. Yippee!

04_Hot_colors_garden.jpg

It’s only a 1-1/2-hour drive from my house in northwest Austin to San Antonio Botanical Garden, an easy drive that requires no stopping at a public restroom along the way — ha! So last week my Italian exchange student (yes, she’s still here for a couple more weeks) and I hit the road and headed south to the Alamo City for a little garden therapy.

08_Red_yucca_Salvia-1.jpg

SABG marks its 40th anniversary this month, and the gardens are looking lovely. And summery, with a red-hot color scheme near the entrance slightly tempered by blue salvia.

06_Nolina_Firecracker_fern_Golden_thryallis-1.jpg

Cool-red firecracker fern with blue nolina (I think) and golden thryallis — shazam!

05_Red_garden-1.jpg

‘Bells of Fire’ esperanza hulks over Mickey Mouse-eared spineless prickly pear, firecracker fern, and ‘Brakelights’ hesperaloe.

03_Edibles_garden-1.jpg

Across the path the culinary garden beckoned, so we popped in for a look around…

01_Lotus_pond-1.jpg

…and got sidetracked by this pretty, steel-sided lotus pond.

02_Lotus-1.jpg

Ivory lotus flowers and matte-textured leaves — beautiful.

09_Cuphea_Firecracker_fern_Stone_wall-1.jpg

Heading over to the Family Adventure Garden we stopped to admire this limestone block wall planted with more red-flowering plants, including cigar plant cuphea and firecracker fern.

10_Steel_beam_fountain-1.jpg

I love a circular water feature, and this one is pretty awesome, with circles radiating outward like ripples on a pond. The L-shaped steel sluice fountain drips a steady trickle into the pond, and string lights overhead promise fun evenings for the lucky few who get to visit after dark.

26_Prickly_pear_Bosque_Fountain-1.jpg

A wider view of this inviting hangout/event space, with the water feature in the background and a bosque of crape myrtles to shade colorful patio seating.

11_Culvert_tunnel-1.jpg

Sadly, No Name Creek, an interactive water feature for kids to play in, was turned off for safety’s sake, so I didn’t take any photos of that area. (You can see it in a previous post about SABG’s family garden.) Other parts of the garden were taped off too, like the sand pits and water fountains. But this tunnel was open.

12_Prickly_pear-1.jpg

Prickly pear grows on top, reaching for the sun.

13_Muhly_maze_Tree-1.jpg

The muhly maze is quiet in spring without autumn’s spectacular pink flowering of Gulf muhly grasses. But thanks to tidy mounds of dwarf yaupon holly, it’s still serene and green.

14_Red_rockers-1.jpg

I like the wooden rockers, stump seats, and child-sized red picnic bench.

15_Wavy_fence_Prickly_pear-1.jpg

Climbing the stairs up to Prickly Pear Peak, we passed this flowerbud-studded prickly pear languidly leaning over a rocky ledge. Check out that wavy, steel-mesh fence too. Nice!

16_Desert_willow-1.jpg

Desert willow in bloom on the hillside

17_Desert_willow_flower-1.jpg

Crepey desert willow flower

18_Circular_steel_arbor-1.jpg

At the top, a tornado-like steel arbor seems to whirl under a blue sky.

19_Circular_steel_arbor-1.jpg

Hot-pink-flowered queen’s wreath vine scrambles up the angled poles.

20_Queens_wreath_vine-1.jpg

Queen’s wreath, also known as coral vine for some reason

22_Steel_arbor_Bench_Glasshouses-1.jpg

Under the arbor the tropical glasshouses are visible in the distance.

21_Masked_women-1.jpg

And here we sit in our masks, looking like garden bandits.

23_Queens_wreath_Bee-1.jpg

Honeybee enjoying a little queen’s wreath goodness

24_Firewheel_Prickly_pear-1.jpg

These prickly pears are so sculptural. Expert pruning or natural growth pattern? Inquiring minds want to know. Also, they look beautiful amid the firewheel, a native Texas wildflower.

25_Lawn_amphitheater_Stone_Sotols-1.jpg

I’ve always liked this grassy amphitheater/play space, with limestone block seats embedded at angles in the ground.

27_American_basket_flowers.jpg

American basket flower

28_American_basket_flower.jpg

A closeup view

29_Glasshouse_pond-1.jpg

As one of SABG’s angular glasshouses comes into view, I’ll stop here and will pick up with part 2 of my visit tomorrow. Stay tuned for an explosion of Dr. Seussian Yucca rostrata in bloom.

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post San Antonio Botanical Garden reopening, part 1 appeared first on Digging.

GZoWIiKAQrg

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com