Sauerkraut anyone?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
For many years I have put up sauerkraut. I love it! I just started a batch last month and it has a few more weeks of fermentation.
Does anyone else make kraut?
Maybe Randy?

Attachments

• 1523100028050814956998.jpg
    1523100028050814956998.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 376

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I eat it on rare occasion but have never made it. Is it hard? How long do you have to age it?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supe easy!
Wash and Shred your cabbage. Soak it in a heavy brine solution for about 2 hours. Pack and clean quart jars, I find Wide Mouth Jars are the best. Pack tightly, and cover with brine leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Place Lids on lightly. Do not tighten Lids down, the band is only to keep the lid from falling off not to tighten it down. Place on a jelly-roll pan or something to catch to overflow liquid. Age 6 to 8 weeks, adding brine as the cabbage ferments.
Process in a water bath for 20 minutes.

May91

Hello yes we love to make sauerkraut we make it about twice a year its a lot of fun to get the kids around the table and make kraut. were on our last jar in the celler waiting for cabbage to go on sell so we can make some more then at the end of summer ours will be ready to pull out of the garden and can it as well.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com