Server and Forum Upgrades 3/15/20

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I just upgraded the forum to the latest version of the forum software. I don't think there are any major changes, but you may find small differences from the previous version.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've now upgraded more than just the forum software. We're now on a new server. More capacity, runs faster, jumps higher all the good stuff. With the COVID-19 shutdown traffic has increased dramatically and I wanted to be sure we had enough capacity.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was a good idea Bob! As more and more people come on line there is a tendency for things to slow down, but it is not an issue unless the servers crash from the overload! That happened last Friday in certain areas that have not upgraded their systems... Think most users noticed a real slow down that prevented them from doing much online, such as gamers!.....lasted a couple of hours....
Let's hope there isn't major crash and outaged....it would be really bad for those who do most, if not all, of their personal banking online....

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ron, I do know networks are running slower due to increased traffic. The good news is that the internet was specifically designed to handle problems. It was created with things like war in mind. There is redundancy throughout the system, if a backbone goes down in one place, traffic will be routed someplace else. Sure, there would be local outages, but most traffic would continue. I think things will continue to work pretty well.

Meanwhile, as traffic to this site increases, I've done what I can to handle the traffic and loads.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I realized something this morning, once again, I leased a server without having any idea where it's located.
My original server was in Atlanta, and they even had photos of the hosting center with its concrete walls, backup generators and two connections to the internet for redundancy.

They got bought out by Peer 1, and when I upgraded, my next server was in Miami datacenter. I think our last server was in Michigan, maybe the Detroit area, and this one seems to be in/near Salt Lake City.

I've gotten used to the idea that I don't visit the server, but it still seems a bit odd that I have no clue where it's even located.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, turns out it's in Provo, UT. Also, appropriately enough for me, it's right across the street from the former Denver & Rio Grande Western railroad's Provo Yard. I like that idea.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com