Seven Layer Salad

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bluewolf

anyone got a good recipe for 7 layer salad?

I tried lookin on the net but they all had "weird" stuff in them..like peppers,coliflower,and other stuff

I have been hankerin that for a while but the deli wants $4.99 a pound!!!!
way to rich for my blood these days
and I am the only one who eats it..so my llittle brain got to thinkin....
I could make a batch in my little 9X9 and that would be just perfect for a couple of days
and I betcha I could make it for 5 dollars and actually get my monies worth!!!

Also..how do you make creamed peas?

I don't really like them by themselfs but I do love creamed peas :D

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Wolf I start with lettuce in the bottom, Then I put layers of radishes, celery, bacon crumbles or baco's then green peas, and then cover with mayo and top with shredded cheddar cheese. It needs to sit in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a variation of this on Friday and I tried to find the recipe again, but couldn't. Of course, I forgot to check the "recipe" thread. LOL

Spider_Lily

My seven layer salad.Layer lettuce,shredded cheddar cheese,bacon,boiled egg,little green peas.bell,pepper,,onion,.I use ranch dressing and one pack sweet and low.Drizzle over.Can use mayo and Tbs.sugar.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will also post this in the recipe forum. It's not 7 layer but everyone really likes this.

1 can of refried beans
1 can rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis (Drained)
1 med diced onion
shredded cheese
Diced Cilantro
sour cream
Garlic Powder
salt
Place beans in a glass baking dish. Warm ( warm not cook) in microwave.
Sprinkel liberal amount of garlic powder
salt to taste
Stir in onions,cilantro, and tomatoes ( Drained Tomatoes). Reserve a small amount of cilantro for garnish
Place enough cheese on top to cover.
Cook in microwave ( or oven) until cheese is melted. Don't worry about the onions being cooked they add flavor and texture if a little crunchy.

Scoop a large dolop of sour cream in the middle and use the reserved cilantro as a garnish on top.
Can be served as a dip or a sidedish. My family loves it as a side dish with fish.

Bluewolf

TA-DA!!!
isn't she purdy??? :D

I kinda "ad-libed" a little

This is what I did

*layer in the order of ingredients* in an 8X8 pyrex dish

I used

1 bag of precut lettuce (this time I used the one that has several different kinds)

1 two cup package of frozen peas (thawed)

5 green onions completely chopped up (mixing the white with the green)

1 two cup bag of shredded cheddar cheese

15 strips of bacon (cooked crispy) crumbled

3 hard boiled eggs (cut in quarters then sliced and single layered)

approx 3 cups Hellmans mayo mixed with 2 TBLS of sugar

spread evenly over the top being sure to seal the edges with the mayo

then I sprinkled some bacon and green onions over the top(optional you could use the eggs or cheese) for garnish
(looked a little nekid with out them):eek:

Supposed to cover it up..but I had a little to much stuff in my dish

let it sit for a minimum of 2 hours before serving

*I'm gonna let mine sit overnight so all the goodness will mingle together* ;)

Attachments

• salad1.jpg
    salad1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 412
  • salad2.jpg
    salad2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 436

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds like a good salad. I tried making Lyn's from memory last week and forgot the peas. My wife still complimented me on the salad though.

Bluewolf

That sounds like a good salad. I tried making Lyn's from memory last week and forgot the peas. My wife still complimented me on the salad though.

OH NO!!!:eek:

Can't forget the peas!!!

I almost forgot about the bacon tho :eek:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remembered the bacon. I have a granddaughter that will pick out every pea if we put them in our dishes. But that doesn't stop me from using them.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey gang I think I forgot the green onions.lol my memory isn't what it used to be.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Blue it looks really good. I have a friend on our street that is always asking me to bring it. We have several block parties a year and it is requested often.

Bluewolf

Thanks Lynn I only ever got to have it when My Grammy made it..Mommy said it was to expensive to make

and the last time I had it was when BF's Aunt made it for a Thanksagivin get together

Gonna have it tonight with a steak..will let you know how it is ;)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey gang I think I forgot the green onions.lol my memory isn't what it used to be.

"Most people call the green onions, but they're really scallions." Lyn, this ia a family joke and has been for over 50 years. Stan Freberg put out a comedic record years ago and called it "Christmas Dragnet". It was based on the old radio and TV show "Dragnet". But several times through the record, that phrase was quoted. I still have a recording of it on my computer. It's much funnier though if you are old enough to remember the "Dragnet" shows. Jack Webb played Detective Sergeant Joe Friday on both radio and TV and Henry Morgan played his partner. Henry Morgan also played Colonel Potter on the TV show "MASH".

Bluewolf

OOH You guys!! You would be so proud of me

tried my salad last night and it was awsomer
than I could have ever imagined

*guess I still gots the cooking gene in me after all* ;)

(even tho this wasn't technically cookin) :D

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Sailor, we could get nit-picky and at least call it food preparation. LOL Glad it turned out well. I have a couple of recipes I have been holding for awhile that I want to try. One of them is a crock-pot gumbo and I can't think of what the other one is right now. I don't experiment much on Friday dinner, but usually hold experiments for 'cook's night off' on Sunday.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com