Shade garden starting

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

My shade garden is starting to wake up, my heuchera are starting to get big again this year and now I can move some of them to other shade areas, the ferns are popping up, I even had a blue bell coming up can't wait to see what shows up this year

heuchera1.jpg

Kya D

Oh Bear your shady garden is just lovely, I really like all of the different heuchera colors

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's is a great shade garden, maybe you can tell us everything that's in it and what seems to do the best. Is this full shade all the time or do you get partial sun?

GardenBear1

Crabbergirl, at this time of year its part sun in the morning and shade the rest of the day, as we go into summer it becomes a full shade garden and things really take off, there very little work to it, I don't water it much unless there a lack of rain, it takes care of it self I don't feed any thing in the garden, come fall I cut back some of the plants and leave the cutting in the beds to rot over the winter, it took over 300lb of yard waste to fill the beds grass cutting,leaves old potting mix, and what ever happens to be laying around that can be used to help the soil, I never weed because I like the flower on some of them, the heuchera will take over and cover and weed that try to grow. I'll try and make a list of every thing that's out in the garden, some I don't even know what there names are,I call them little gifts from the birds or it was some thing that was giving to me by some one. every year it takes on a diff. look as things grow or I add some thing new, like I have room for more :D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Bear, It is really a very nice garden. I have a couple full shade areas I an having trouble with to keep them filled. I like the fact you have a selection and that it looks full.

GardenBear1

I found 2 new Heuchera for the shade garden by next year I won't have any more room for new plants I also picked up a new iris and a Geranium

Fryfly Heuchera x brizides

newplants004.jpg

Crimson curls

newplants003.jpg

Maestro rose pink ( single petal ) Geranium

newplants002.jpg

Lace Artistry iris/ with buds ( not for the shade garden )

newplants001.jpg

gardencoop

Wow that is a beautiful shade garden. I just started mine a couple months ago. I have ferns and hostas growing quickly! Would love to add more color too once things get more established! Beautiful work there! :thumbsup:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com