Shade gardens

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

I've been working on my shade garden for the last 7 years, Ive filled it with wild fern, wild Chinese ginger, hosta, coral bells,mulleins, hens & chick, few succ, day lilies,comfrey and some blue eyed grass and lots of other plants I'm sure I forgot about, I would like to add some walking iris to the garden, has any one ever grown this type of iris in the garden or is it best to keep them in a pot so the don't get out of hand ?
Thanks for any help you guys can give me

Blueaussi

How do you grow daylilies in a shade garden?

We always have some walking iris donated to the Historic Camden plant sale, but I've never tried to grow it. I'll ask about it, but that won't e until May.

GardenBear1

Ron, thanks for the link, I knew that I would have to dig them up in the winter, but if I lost some it wouldn't hurt the plant, its now in a 5 gal pot, I keep giving some it away every year and it keeps growing, so I guess I'll just split it into 2 pots and put them in the shade garden and bring them back into the house in the fall,
Thanks again for the help

GardenBear1

Here a pic of my shade garden from early last year, its still to early for pic this year. thing are going to be bigger this year,Please don't look at the moss on the house I've been fighting it for years and can't get rid of it

shadegarden1.jpg

Dor

I get the moss on my house and vinyl siding Bear but get them pressure washed every other year. I am going to have mine done in a couple of weeks.

GardenBear1

I wash the walls ever year and it just comes back, I'm learning to live with it.

Blueaussi, that vine is a Dutch mans pipe, that the only name I know it by but I'm sure it has a few names, this year I'm going to try and remember to save seeds from it .
the shade garden is my hide away, you will find me there with a cup of tea and a book or some times sleeping with a book in my hand :D, no phone or laptop just a good book and my tea

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been working on my shade garden for the last 7 years, Ive filled it with wild fern, wild Chinese ginger, hosta, coral bells,mulleins, hens & chick, few succ, day lilies,comfrey and some blue eyed grass and lots of other plants I'm sure I forgot about, I would like to add some walking iris to the garden, has any one ever grown this type of iris in the garden or is it best to keep them in a pot so the don't get out of hand ?
Thanks for any help you guys can give me

Wondering if your Hens & Chciks survive the winter. I would love to have mine in a gaden outside rather than planters on the decks. . And what is blue eyed grass? I have never heard of it.
Sounds like a great garden!

GardenBear1

Crabbergirl
My hens and chicks are in pots and stay out all winter and come back and spread, I've never tried to grow them in the ground yet,

Blue eyed grass is not a true grass but a member of Iris family ( Sisyrinchium montanum ), so far they haven't come back yet but I will wait to see if they make it when it starts to warm up more.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com