Shrub need pruning information

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Elsma

I am in NJ recently we had major snow storm that caused a tree to fall on tall shrubs they are now still leanIng after the tree was removed . I would like to prune back but not sure what the shrub is and if it is too early to prune .Does anyone know what type shrub this is and is it to early to prune back?
DSCF0194.JPG

Hi Elsma! Welcome to our forum!

Please post a full photo of the shrub.
Need a bit more info: does it flower, if so what do they look like?
What the flowers look like will help a lot in identifying the species.

In the mean time you can use stakes to straighten up the plant....do this before you prune. Limit pruning to no more then 1/3 of the total growth.
Remove all damaged stems, cut back to good undamaged growth..

Last edited:
Hopefully we’ll get a better photo, but I’m going to guess that’s a rhododendron based on the leaves and especially the buds. Looks a lot like the ones in my yard, and they’re a common plant.

I do not have a full image of the shrubs they are just starting to bloom there are no flowers ever and the leaves are just starting to bloom and they hedges grow all spring and summer as they fill in I can post more images.Is it ok to prune back now?

Looks like Camellia could be it. The structure isn't a Rhodie, so my guess was wrong.

Recommendation is to prune it back by at least 1/3 of the total growth. Pruning may force it to bloom!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back