Soil

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

myfedora

How can I add this to my soil. calcium and magnesium carbonate. Can I buy something from the store? I think egg shells add calcium but I need now.

Kya D

I feed my hens oyster shell to make the egg shells stronger. Maybe that would work.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh..I forgot to say..lime can be purchased at your local feed and seed store.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't aware that lime had magnesium in it also. I buy agricultural lime and put that on the garden every year. I thought lime was just calcium carbonate.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the bananas around my roses but I have one dog that eats them . Makes it hard to keep them in the garden :rolleyes:

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I use the crushed oyster shells in my garden ...I put them around the base of plants to keep slugs at bay and this also adds calcium to the soil...then I have used epsom salt to add magnesim to my peppers and tomatoe...Apply 1 tablespoon around each plant ...I scratch the soil and then water

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
i was just reading up a bit on the epsom salt and when you are tilling your garden it says you can add 1 cup per 100 sq. feet and mix into the soil...

Bernie

I save all my egg shells even over the winter; rinse, dry, crush small and scratch into the soil around all my plants and put some in the holes when I plant. For tomatoes besides the egg shells I also add cut up banana peels and epson salts in each hole. I scratch in a little epson salts and egg shells around my roses. CG I just read somewhere that you can dry the banana peels and use them that way. Maybe your dog wont want them after they are dried. I haven't tried it yet but I just bought some bananas so I am going to. I'm a big fan of coffee grounds and get them from Starbucks. Great fresh for acid loving plants and to keep slugs at bay. Also a great soil conditioner after they've sat for a while.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bernie,
Thanks for the suggestion but this is the dog that eats plywood. :rolleyes: I even wrapped the banana in rose branches and she got them. She actually was kenneled at one time and ate the chain link fence into very tiny peices. So I put up a hot wire around the kennel , she got so mad she reached through the hole in the fence and while the wire was charged bit and chewed it until it broke all the while getting shocked.

I might try fermenting them in water and using the water on the rose.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com