Sour dough bread

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Trax

I've been helping make bread (and making it by myself) for about a year now. This is the recipe I always use for yeast bread but I'd like to learn other recipes too. If you have an interesting recipe that you use, please share. :) Thanks!

SOUR DOUGH BREAD OR BREAD STICKS

EXTRA INFO:
This recipe can be used for loafs of bread, for fat bread sticks, or for braided bread sticks. Remember, salt kills yeast so always add that last. The bread tastes awesome without the salt but it molds a lot faster. If the dough ball is a little too sticky, the bread's gonna have more crumbs and taste like biscuits.
Make sure the kitchen is 80*F (27*C) before you start.

THE EQUIPMENT:
1. An accurate cooking thermometer
2. An electric dough mixer with hooks
3. A large greased & floured bowl (the dough will rise in this)
4. A large greased & floured baking sheet or loaf pan (the dough will rise again & bake on/in this)
5. Damp cheesecloth
6. A floured breadboard
7. A very sharp knife

THE BREAD DOUGH:
1 egg white
1 cup scalded milk
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (Initial)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (To add)

THE YEAST MIXTURE:
1 package fresh yeast
1/4 cup water at 110*F (43.33*C)
1 tsp. salt (To add last)
1 tsp. sugar

PREPPING THE WET ITEMS:
Set the "To add" flour and the salt near the mixer. Get the egg to room temperature then separate the white from the yolk. Just break the egg into your hand and let the white fall into a cup through your fingers. Melt the butter in a small skillet on very low heat. Don't let it bubble. Scald the milk in a pan. Let that bubble a little.

A. Combine the melted butter, the scalded milk, sugar, and separated egg white in a bowl. Set that on the counter to cool.

THE YEAST:
Combine the 110*F (43.33*F) water and sugar in a measuring cup. Stir in the yeast. If the mixture bubbles in 5 minutes or less then the yeast is good.
When the butter-and-milk mixture (A.) has cooled off to 90*F (32.22*C), add the yeast mixture.

MIXING THE DOUGH:
Put the hooks on the electric bread dough mixer. Put the Initial flour in a large mixing bowl and pour the butter/milk/yeast mixture over the flour.
The 1st 15 seconds: Combine the mixture on low speed, then gradually increase the speed of the mixer.
Switch back to low speed.
For 3 minutes: Add flour as needed till the dough is very firm.
For 2 minutes: Continue mixing.
For 2 minutes: Continue mixing & add the salt.
The bread dough should not be sticky. If it is then try mixing in a little more flour. Remove the dough and form it into a ball. Place the dough ball in the greased and floured bowl and cover it with damp cheese cloth. Let the dough rise for about 1 hour. To test the dough, press the ball with your finger. If the dent remains then the dough has risen long enough.

Remove the dough ball and put it on the greased/floured breadboard. Beat, fold, and knuckle the dough. This will activate the yeast and will take a few minutes.
1. FOR A LOAF OF BREAD:
Put the dough ball in the greased & floured loaf pan.
2. FOR FAT BREAD STICKS:
Sprinkle the dough with flour then stretch the dough into a large thick square. Use a very sharp knife to cut the dough into 1 inch wide strips. The dough should be about 1 inch thick. Leave space between the strips cause the dough will rise again after this. You can leave the strips the way they are or you can braid them together.
THE SECOND RISING PERIOD:
Cover the strips, braided strips, or loaf pan with damp cheese cloth and let them/it rise for another 20 minutes. They/it should get about 40% bigger.

Pre-heat the oven to 375*F (190.5*C) while the strips/braids/loaf are rising. Uncover them/it and brush with butter so it will have a crisp crust. Place the strips/braids on the greased and floured baking sheet and put them in the oven. Or just put the loaf pan in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes till the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and place the pan/sheet on a wire rack to cool.

Hey Trax we make this one all the time it's quick, easy and yummy :)

Beer Bread
Ingredients:

3 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 can beer ( is it a 12oz there?)

Directions:

Prep Time: 5 mins

Total Time: 55 mins

1 Combine flour and sugar, mix well, add beer and mix with hands!
2 Batter will be sticky.
3 Mix well and pour into bread pan!
4 Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
5 Top will be crunchy, inside will be soft.

Sweet! :D Thanks for that recipe! I've never tried beer bread before so I def wanna try that. Coke cans are 12 ounces but I don't know about beer. I can find out. :)

Yay! :D More homemade bread lovers! I've made that sour dough bread maybe 12 times by myself. It always works great!
Hey Mainegal,
Thanks for the info about the beer cans! :) The only thing I've seen here are beer bottles but not enough to actually read the labels.

OK so now I am going to make my own self rising flour and then make that beer bread.

I'll try this one when I start bread again but how is this sour dough?

I made a few sour doughs over the last two years but my starter had problems and eventually died.

I had a really good honey wholewheat bread recipe that I adapted from one out of Joy of Cooking 75th anniversary ed. I had been adapting it and remembering it week to week but never wrote it down. After I took a summer off of making it I had no clue what the recipe was.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back