Sour Dough

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

Randy, and everyone. Here is my recipe for Sour Dough Pancakes with the Starter. Anybody else with any others, please post. I would love to have them. :D:D Kim

Sough Dough Starter

1 cup water (a little warm)
1 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Let it sit out on the counter, covered, overnight. The next day stir, and divide it into 1/2 cup portions. Store starters in the refrigerator in jelly jars with lids. This makes 4 or 5 starters. you can share with other friends.

Sour Dough Pancakes

1/2 cup sour dough starter
2 cups milk
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 vegetable oil

The night before you want tohave the pancakes: Mix together milk, flour and the sour dough starter. Cover it with a plate or something. (I use glass bowls, never metal.)
The next morning: Stir the mixture, and take out 1/2 cup for your starter and put it in the clean jar for the next time. Then add; the eggs, salt, baking soda, and veggie oil. Blend well. Cook pancakes on a hot griddle. Serve hot!! These are yummy!!!

I used to spend the night with my grandma alot when I was young and we made these everytime!!!! ;);)

I hope you enjoy these! Let me know. Kim :):)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty close to the recipe I use. I don't measure much though. I use buttermilk if I can. If I were going to make the pancakes for tomorrow, I would use about a cup of the starter I have in the refrigerator and add a heaping cup of flour to it and add enough water to get it to a consistency of a thick pea soup. I cover that and let it work overnight as Miss Kim says. In the morning, I will replace the starter I took out of my starter container and use the rest of it in the bowl for the pancakes. I add the wet ingredients (egg and oil) to the starter except for the buttermilk. I sift the flour (2 cups), sugar (a generous tablespoon), and salt ( a generous teaspoon) into the liquids and mix with a spoon adding buttermilk until I get almost the viscosity that I want. If I have the time, I like to let this mix sit for an hour or so and let the sourdough work on the added flour. When I am ready to start making the pancakes, I will mix a teaspoon of baking soda in about a quarter cup of warm water and dissolve it as much as I can. Then I fold that into the batter. You can feel the batter begin to froth as the soda reacts with the yeast. Cook the pancakes on a hot griddle and don't wait for enough pancakes for everybody. Start eating them as they come off the griddle. They are best that way. They will not be as brown as Krusteaz pancakes. If you cook them so they are that brown, they will be tough. Compared to sourdough pancakes, Krusteaz are ATSL (able to sustain life). The sugar in the recipe is primarily to feed the wild yeast. You can't taste it.

richnkim

That's pretty close to the recipe I use. I don't measure much though. I use buttermilk if I can. If I were going to make the pancakes for tomorrow, I would use about a cup of the starter I have in the refrigerator and add a heaping cup of flour to it and add enough water to get it to a consistency of a thick pea soup. I cover that and let it work overnight as Miss Kim says. In the morning, I will replace the starter I took out of my starter container and use the rest of it in the bowl for the pancakes. I add the wet ingredients (egg and oil) to the starter except for the buttermilk. I sift the flour (2 cups), sugar (a generous tablespoon), and salt ( a generous teaspoon) into the liquids and mix with a spoon adding buttermilk until I get almost the viscosity that I want. If I have the time, I like to let this mix sit for an hour or so and let the sourdough work on the added flour. When I am ready to start making the pancakes, I will mix a teaspoon of baking soda in about a quarter cup of warm water and dissolve it as much as I can. Then I fold that into the batter. You can feel the batter begin to froth as the soda reacts with the yeast. Cook the pancakes on a hot griddle and don't wait for enough pancakes for everybody. Start eating them as they come off the griddle. They are best that way. They will not be as brown as Krusteaz pancakes. If you cook them so they are that brown, they will be tough. Compared to sourdough pancakes, Krusteaz are ATSL (able to sustain life). The sugar in the recipe is primarily to feed the wild yeast. You can't taste it.

Randy,I think I will try you pointers. How about the starter recipe. What do you think?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That starter recipe will work fine. I did one similar a long time ago just to have a backup in case I lost my original starter. I used the two starters then alternately, but the one I made from the yeast went bad. But it was not the fault of the starter. It my fault for not using it often enough. There are a couple of other ways to start a starter and I have not tried them, but they are published methods, so they should work. I would have to go back and read them again though. One of the methods is in a book published by "Soudough Jack" who has been dead now for some years. The other method is in a book that I have here at my desk in the basement by a man named Don Holm. He is/was a Portlander and he may be gone now too.

richnkim

That starter recipe will work fine. I did one similar a long time ago just to have a backup in case I lost my original starter. I used the two starters then alternately, but the one I made from the yeast went bad. But it was not the fault of the starter. It my fault for not using it often enough. There are a couple of other ways to start a starter and I have not tried them, but they are published methods, so they should work. I would have to go back and read them again though. One of the methods is in a book published by "Soudough Jack" who has been dead now for some years. The other method is in a book that I have here at my desk in the basement by a man named Don Holm. He is/was a Portlander and he may be gone now too.

That is the trouble that I have with the yeast recipe for starter, I don't use it enough. I saw a recipe in a Sunset mag a long time ago. Maybe we could google. If we get good enough we could start our own bakery. LOL :D

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My sister told me I should start a business, but I told her that would take all the fun out of it. I don't sell stuff and I won't start. I had a business in the past and I remember how much time was taken up with taking care of government forms and taxes. My wife would like me to get a cell phone too. But I was a slave to a pager, two-way radio, and a telephone for too many years. I won't have one now. She tells me I have a bad attitude. It's probably true.

richnkim

My sister told me I should start a business, but I told her that would take all the fun out of it. I don't sell stuff and I won't start. I had a business in the past and I remember how much time was taken up with taking care of government forms and taxes. My wife would like me to get a cell phone too. But I was a slave to a pager, two-way radio, and a telephone for too many years. I won't have one now. She tells me I have a bad attitude. It's probably true.

I agree. I just share what I make and it brings so much joy!!! :)
I do have a cell phone though. LOL ;)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not going to tell her. LOL

American Idol is over, so I can go back upstairs. Be back tomorrow.

latebloomer

Sourdough Pizza Crust

1 cup sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 package active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons if you buy it in bulk)
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 t0 5 cups of flour

Mix starter, yeast,water and 1/1/2 cups of flour together in glass or ceramic bowl. Let sit for an hour to 24 hours as desired. Mix in sugar and salt. Pour 1 cup of flour on kneading surface. Mix the rest of the flour into the sourdough mixture,first with a spoon- then with your hands.
Knead dough for 10 minutes. Place in bowl greased with olive oil,cover with damp towel and let rise for 2 hours until double in bulk. Punch dough down and let rise for another hour.
Grease pizza pans with olive oil. Cut dough in half and stretch dough to cover pan. Once the pan is covered, fold dough in half and dust cornmeal onto pan.
Pat dough in place again and lightly brush surface with olive oil.
Top pizza with sauce,cheese and toppings of choice. Bake at 450˚ for 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly. You may slide pizza off pan during the last five minutes for a crisper crust if desired.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, thank you, LB. I will make a hit with my grandson for sure. You know what I think I'll do? Sunday is cook's night off. I need to get some yeast and stuff for toppings and whip something up then.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I agree with your wife about a cell phone. For years Dewey refused to have a cell phone. One day he fell outside and it scared him. He was okay but he thought what he hadn't been okay and he couldn't call me or someone else to help him. We went that day and got him a cell phone. He doesn't go out of the house now (3 or 4 years later) without his cell phone. Your being diabetic now, that is something you might want to think about.

sunflower3

I take our house phone and my cell phone outside with me all the time. I have a small wicker basket I put them in and can carry them around the yard and if i need one they are there, I take them with me even when someone is here at home, with kids you never know what they are doing and if they will even hear you if you yell. I also hid house keys outside, have locked myself out a few time and had to crawl through a high window to get back in, and at 47 that's not an easy task. but well worth a Laugh...

richnkim

I know about the lock out of the house thing. I had to call my husband to come home and let me in. Luckily I had my cell phone. I keep mine in a pocket when I am outside.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll think about it. If I ever get one though, I will leave it off unless I need it. I'm glad my wife has one, but I just can't bring myself to that yet. I haven't locked myself out of the hosue yet though. I had a set of keys buried in the flower bed outside until David did some work there. Why he didn't leave them I'll never know as he and Fiona are usually the ones that get locked out. I keep my house keys with me all the time I am outside the house. They hang on a ring clipped to my overalls pocket. David and Fiona lived in an area in Portland where they felt very insecure if the didn't keep their doors locked all the time. Their house backed up to a state parole office building. But they lock me out just about every time I go outside if I stay out for awhile.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy you can buy a prepaid cell phone. You use the minutes you pay for then pay and reload more minutes. Just a thought!!!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I haven't I just know that it would make her feel better to know you could call her if you needed her. Just my thoughts.

Dor

I locked myself out of the house last summer and my oldest was too far away and I think my youngest may have been at school and I was her transportation. I couldn't drive to get her eyes cause I locked the van key insidie too. I had to call a locksmith to let me in. Everytime I go outside now I double check to may sure I don't look myself out of take the eyes when I have a pocket. I better bury some keys outside too and start taking the phones with me.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Dorothy, when I replaced the garage door opener, I got one that has a transmitter that uses a number code. That is mounted right outside the garage door and I can plug in the number key and close or open the door. The garage is separate from the house though, so it's not like you can go through the garage to get in the house. But inside my tool cabinet in the garage is a set of house keys hanging on a hook. I told the family about them when I put them there. But recently, David left the house and left his car keys and all on the counter. He banged on the widow for me to let him in. He had forgotten that the set of house keys were available just by opening the garage door using that keypad.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com