Spanokopita

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bluewolf

I love spinach..I will eat it served any-which-way

but this has to be my most favoritist way

(can also be served as a side dish)

Spanokopita

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil

1 bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts

2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted

2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten

7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

40 sheets (1 box) frozen phyllo dough (such as Pepperidge Farm), defrosted overnight in the refrigerator

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted

1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the scallions. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill, eggs, feta, salt, and pepper and mix together.

Keep the phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel. Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo dough. Brush the sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process by laying a second sheet of phyllo dough over the first sheet, brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs until all 10 sheets have been used. Spoon 3/4 cup of the spinach mixture into a sausage shape along one edge of the phyllo dough. Roll it up. Brush the top with butter and score the roll into 1-inch rounds. Place it on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the pastry and filling have been used.

Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Serve warm.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com